Other Thank Just Because, Should I Upgrade to 4

General support for the Pi-Star System
K2AMP

Other Thank Just Because, Should I Upgrade to 4

Post by K2AMP »

I'm currently running Pi-Star 3.4.17 on a Zumspot, which I believe is an RPi-0. Usually, I like to upgrade stuff "just because", which is generally frowned upon. But I like to have the newest features. However, I thought I'd ask about Pi-Star. Should I upgrade or leave it alone since it's working?
AF6VN

Re: Other Thank Just Because, Should I Upgrade to 4

Post by AF6VN »

K2AMP wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 12:12 pm I'm currently running Pi-Star 3.4.17 on a Zumspot, which I believe is an RPi-0. Usually, I like to upgrade stuff "just because", which is generally frowned upon. But I like to have the newest features. However, I thought I'd ask about Pi-Star. Should I upgrade or leave it alone since it's working?
Write the 4.1.1 image to a NEW SD card, plug it in, and configure it.

If you run into problems, just take out the SD card and put the original with 3.4.17 back into the unit.

--
AF6VN
Dennis L Bieber
K2AMP

Post by K2AMP »

Thanks for the reply, Dennis. Laying in bed last night I actually thought the same thing. That's what I'll do.

Hope you're well.
NQ4T

Post by NQ4T »

K2AMP wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 12:12 pm I'm currently running Pi-Star 3.4.17 on a Zumspot, which I believe is an RPi-0. Usually, I like to upgrade stuff "just because", which is generally frowned upon. But I like to have the newest features. However, I thought I'd ask about Pi-Star. Should I upgrade or leave it alone since it's working?
Having used both...the only outward thing I've noticed is that WIRES-X passthrough works properly on Pi-Star 4 as opposed to not working on Pi-Star 3. I primarily use D-Star and DMR modes so WIRES-X function is very low on the list. I went back to Pi-Star 3 because 4 has issues with my wifi that I'll start looking into when I get bored making my "forum rounds" for the day.
M1DNS
Pi-Star Team

Post by M1DNS »

4.1.1 runs newer software releases. A lot of the background stuff in 3.4 is now out of support, including the base OS.

With exception of basic pistar support, 3.4.** isn't seeing any futhur development. All new features are happening in 4.1 /4.1.1

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Andrew M1DNS.
Pi-star Admin Team.
2E0EPV

Post by 2E0EPV »

I had no Idea there was a version 4, I ran my update script last night and I'm still on Pi-Star:3.4.17, so I assume this is the current stable build while 4 is a beta or something?

Kyle
Kyle
AF6VN

Post by AF6VN »

2E0EPV wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 2:00 pm
I had no Idea there was a version 4, I ran my update script last night and I'm still on Pi-Star:3.4.17, so I assume this is the current stable build while 4 is a beta or something?
The only safe way to get to 4.x is to download it, burn it to an SD card, and configure it as a new system.*

3.x is running Debian Jessie (v8), 4.x runs Debian Buster (v10) -- actually, I think 4.0 was Debian Stretch (v9) but the release of the R-Pi 4B forced a switch to Buster (the R-Pi 4B will not run older releases at all).

* There /might/ be a way to do it by editing the apt sources definition file and then doing an apt update/apt full-upgrade -- but there is too much chance of leaving something from 3.x behind or somehow not getting all of 4.x.

--
AF6VN
Dennis L Bieber
2E0EPV

Post by 2E0EPV »

AF6VN wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 4:02 pm
2E0EPV wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 2:00 pm
The only safe way to get to 4.x is to download it, burn it to an SD card, and configure it as a new system.*

3.x is running Debian Jessie (v8), 4.x runs Debian Buster (v10) -- actually, I think 4.0 was Debian Stretch (v9) but the release of the R-Pi 4B forced a switch to Buster (the R-Pi 4B will not run older releases at all).

* There /might/ be a way to do it by editing the apt sources definition file and then doing an apt update/apt full-upgrade -- but there is too much chance of leaving something from 3.x behind or somehow not getting all of 4.x.
Cheers for that think I will give that a go tonight, I've certainly got enough spare SD Cards around to make one of them up as a Pi-Star test card. :)
Kyle