Unable to upgrade to 4.1.2

General support for the Pi-Star System
W5PB

Unable to upgrade to 4.1.2

Post by W5PB »

Running a Zumspot with a Pi-Zero, I am currently on 3.4.17, and I am unable to upgrade to 4.1.2

After getting to the dashboard (which required unplugging, and plugging the hotspot back in, forcing it to reboot. But that's a different issue) and selecting Configuration>Upgrade, I got a message saying I was already on the most recent version. If a select Update from the dashboard, it simply says no update available. Everything I read here suggests that is all that is needed. Since my computer has an SD card reader, but not a micro SD card reader (which is what the Pi-Zero appears to use) I wouldn't be able to flash it anyway.
AE5PL

Re: Unable to upgrade to 4.1.2

Post by AE5PL »

4.1.2 is a complete OS changeout from version 3 so cannot be upgraded from the expert dashboard. The author's statement is that 4.1.0 and 4.1.1 can be upgraded via the upgrade dashboard since it is just pistar related updates (BTW, if you are at 4.1.0, you have to upgrade twice to get to 4.1.2 and I recommend a restart). That said:

Most micro-SD cards come with a SD adapter to allow plugging into your computer. If yours does not (or you threw it away), go to Walmart (or any other store that sells microSD cards) and buy one that has the standard SD card adapter/carrier. You can then burn a new image and install it.

Hope this helps.

Pete AE5PL
Last edited by AE5PL on Thu May 28, 2020 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
n9mxq

Post by n9mxq »

3.4.17 is the latest you'll get for the 3.x.x You'll need to burn a new image in the 4.x.x to upgrade to the latest. 4.x.x was when the O/S changed.
Gene in Belvidere IL
Please don't email me with questions.
That's what these forums are for.
There's much more brainpower collected here
than I have alone.
W5PB

Post by W5PB »

Thanks to both of you, I appreciate the quick reply. I'll go pick up a fresh card and adapter.
W5PB

Post by W5PB »

There's probably a better way of doing it, but I was thinking of just screenshotting the configuration screens so that if anything is messed up after updating I'll at least know what settings I had before.
W5PB

Post by W5PB »

KE7FNS wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 6:35 pm
W5PB wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 4:47 pm Thanks to both of you, I appreciate the quick reply. I'll go pick up a fresh card and adapter.
Also be aware that restoring a backup configuration made in 3.4.17 into 4.1+ is unadvised. There were missing settings the last time I checked, I don't know if Andy has addressed this problem or not.
Just finished updating, Everything seems to have gone well. I did use the old backup configuration and didn't encounter any problems.