Solved: Pi-Star 4.1.2 - Not Receiving audio on YSF Reflectors

General support for the Pi-Star System
KB5SCW

Solved: Pi-Star 4.1.2 - Not Receiving audio on YSF Reflectors

Post by KB5SCW »

Hey Folks,

I've been having an issue with my Pi-Star-based hotspot. I had previously posted this topic here: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2787

However, I'm finding that I CAN actually switch to YSF reflectors via my Yaesu FT3DR radio. The problem I'm having is that when I connect to a YSF Reflector (AlabamaLink, AmericaLink, CQ-USA) other stations can hear me; but, I can't hear any of their audio. I've also confirmed that another friend of mine with the same hotspot and a similar radio (C4FM) is having the same problem.

I've reset my FT3DR to factory settings, Re-installed/configured Pi-Star, even gone back to Pi-Star 3.4.17---still the same problem.

I'd appreciate any help, guidance, constructive criticism that anyone could give me. :) I have a suspicion that MAYBE I'm having an issue with my Internet-Firewall-Gateway... However, not sure. I have an OpenSpot3 that works just fine; however, I only want to use that when mobile. LOVE my TGIFSPOT Hotspot---just want to get this issue resolved.

If it is a firewall issue, please point me in the right direction.

THANKS EVERYONE,
73's
Will (KB5SCW)
Last edited by KB5SCW on Sun Jun 14, 2020 6:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
KB5SCW

Re: Pi-Star 4.1.2 - Not Receiving audio on YSF Reflectors

Post by KB5SCW »

OK folks.... I think I've resolved the problem.

Under Configuration --> Expert --> YSF Gateway, --- Under YSF Network, I changed the default port from 42000 to 42002. This fixed the problem with me not being able to connect to YSF Reflectors.

Under FCS Network, the port is 42001. I've tried both YSF and FCS and things are working great.....getting good reports from other stations.

I'm not sure if this is the "right" way to fix this----or if it's going to cause problems doing cross-mode. I'm still doing testing. If this sounds familiar to anyone, PLEASE let me know.

Thanks!
Will
KB5SCW

Re: Pi-Star 4.1.2 - Not Receiving audio on YSF Reflectors

Post by KB5SCW »

Well, I can now switch to YSF reflectors.... and all works fine. HOOOOWEVER, I'm not able to switch to YSF2DMR without changing the port back to 42000.... :x :lol: Guess I'll work this out in time.
KB5SCW

Re: Solved: Pi-Star 4.1.2 - Not Receiving audio on YSF Reflectors

Post by KB5SCW »

Well folks,

One thing I forgot about his that I was going through an AT&T Pace Modem/Router.....then behind that I had my primary Wifi Router. Unfortunately, it's not possible to completely turn off NAT on the AT&T Pace Modem/Router soooooo -- I was "double nat'ing." Typically, this hasn't been an issue because I established a "Firewall Pinhole/DZM" for my primary Wifi Router; however, the AT&T Pace Modem/Router was dropping port 42000 UDP when heading back into my network. This caused the following issues: I couldn't use the YSF Link manager to switch to YSF Reflectors.... YSF2DMR, FCS worked just fine. Also, when I used the WiresX button on my FT3DR, I could sometimes get connected----but it would either drop my connection or people could hear me----but I couldn't hear any one.

To 'temporarily' solve my problem, I just put the Pi-Star behind the AT&T Pace Modem/Router and everything started working properly. The PiStar is still accessible on my other network because of internal routing.

The moral of the story: DON'T put yourself into a situation where you are double nat'ting.... :) When all else fails, use an app like WireShark to trace where your packets are going --- and if they are coming back.

DOH! We all live and learn.... 73s!
Cheers,
Will