Radio Frequency ???

General support for the Pi-Star System
G6JEF

Radio Frequency ???

Post by G6JEF »

Hi folks.
I'm just trying to get all my ducks in a row before going ahead and powering up my Zum Spot to configure it for the first time.
I realise this is a newbie question and one that has probably been asked before, to that end I did a search first but all I get back are messages telling me the search terms I used were "too common". So here I am asking.
I have the latest Zum Spot with the WiFi board int it and I have watched several video's on how to configure it but I haven't seen anyone say why they chose the frequency they did for the handie talkie to communicate with the Zum Spot.
Do you just choose one from a particular and suitable part of the UHF band or is there rhyme or reason for choosing a particular frequency ?

Thanks in advance, Steve (G6JEF)
M1DNS
Pi-Star Team

Re: Radio Frequency ???

Post by M1DNS »

It all depends on the country the user resides it's regulator and If any freqs are defined by the class of licence or the freqs available to that ham user.

UK currently have two recommended freqs for personal use. I would suggest you pick a freq away from agreed simplex freqs, freqs dedicated to certain modes, freqs dedicated to repeater inputs and outputs basically follow the std. UK band plan and find yourself a placement 'out of the way'

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Andrew M1DNS.
Pi-star Admin Team.
G6JEF

Re: Radio Frequency ???

Post by G6JEF »

Thanks Andrew, I have a friend that only lives about 100mtrs away from me and I didn't want to use the one he has for his hotspot.