No longer see Pi-Star WiFi and can't connect browser

General support for the Pi-Star System
MW6WHL

Re: No longer see Pi-Star WiFi and can't connect browser

Post by MW6WHL »

KE7FNS wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 8:21 pm
MW6WHL wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 8:18 pm Also, I see them both listed in the 'online devices' section of my network router, including their MAC addresses and IP.
What happens when you ping that address from another machine?

Can you SSH into it?

Could be the webserver crashed for some odd reason.
Yep, this is what I am thinking has gone wrong. Never tried SSH'ing into one of the Hotspots, here's the results from the PING

3 packets transmitted, 3 packets received, 0% packet loss
round-trip min/avg/max = 0.000/3.333/10.000 ms

All very weird eh!!

I think I am going to download pi-star 4 on a spare MicroSD card if I can find one. No harm in trying that I guess, just may have to wait until tomorrow as I am not 100% sure I have a spare one hanging around.
MW6WHL

Post by MW6WHL »

KE7FNS wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 9:39 pm
MW6WHL wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 8:26 pm All very weird eh!!
I don't think its weird at all.

If you reboot it, and every time it comes up it responds to pings, and it functions fine as a hotspot, but the dashboard doesn't work, then you've identified the issue. You'll need to log into it (or plug in a keyboard and monitor) and look at the logs to figure out what is going wrong with the dashboard and why its failing.

I guess its possible that when it was shutdown improperly, it could of corrupted the SD card, but really a simple reboot is all it should need unless the SD card is infact corrupted somehow.

For the normal user its just faster to reimage it than to dig into why the webserver isn't starting correctly, plus it seems like you were on the old version anyways, so thats better too. The bad news is if the other one is on the old version you should also redo it too.
Yep, that sounds like a very good idea actually. I ordered a new micro SD card about an hour ago from Amazon with next day delivery, I think I’ll add another one to that.

Thanks for your replies though, very much appreciated. I’ll drop a reply on here when all up and running. 👍
W7ML

Post by W7ML »

MW6WHL wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 9:47 pm Thanks for your replies though, very much appreciated. I’ll drop a reply on here when all up and running. 👍
I am having the same problem, except my pi-star is newly purchased from China off eBay.

I can see it in my router at 192.168.1.117
I cannot see any pistar WiFi access point
I cannot log into it using either 192.168.1.117 or pistar.local

Did you ever get a solution to your problem?