TGIF Hotspot 3.5" Display

General support for the Pi-Star System
kd6qfo

TGIF Hotspot 3.5" Display

Post by kd6qfo »

Hello:
I just added a TGIF Hotspot to my collection. I would like to know that its possible to build a fresh SD card with Pi-Star and whatever else is needed for the display, etc.

I know I can clone but my goal is to be able to build a new card and have it as functional as day one.

I have done so with a Zumspot but I am getting the feeling that the TGIF spot might be a little bit more proprietary.

Thank you in advance.
kd6qfo

Re: TGIF Hotspot 3.5" Display

Post by kd6qfo »

@ KE7FNS

Thanks for the detailed reply. I just received the device from the seller. My requirements were simple in that I wanted the device to have an Ethernet port and many don't. I have Openspot 1's, 2's and a 3 and get fedup with the reliability of wireless.

What set me off on this is when I asked the seller Robert how I could rebiuld from scratch, loading Pi-Star and anything else needed. I didn;t need step by step, just a list of the logical elements and location of such software. I was essentially told to make a clone of the SD card, which I will but it did not answer my question. That is when I was told I would not have access to the Nextion files. I quote from the seller, "I have 1000's of hours in to it and I does not what to share my business with you". I said I was not too happy with that as the Pi-Star project is generally open source and everyone benefits. I asked for a refund and was told "No Refunds". Keep that in mind if your buying.

I understand that if I rebuild from scratch I loose some of the gimicky screen features which I probably don't need anyways. I suspect the community will come up with a better screen setup anyway that is available to download.

I would simply buy the components and build one up myself next time. I should have seen the red flags when ordering on the website - http://tgifspot.com/ - No support documentation and I'll the reader of this comment on the website.

This one will be for sale soon and I'll build up something less propriatory.
kd6qfo

Post by kd6qfo »

Thank you again... I too like building but got lazy and ordered against better judgement. Lessons learned for next time.

I really appretiate you tip on a Pi Zero W. I have a Zumspot and love it. Works just fine. I also happen to have a spare Rpi3b that I might just build up.

Have a great evening.

**** If anyone wants pictures of the TGIF inside, let me know. Same for any of the files. Happy to share.
VE3RD

Post by VE3RD »

I have a TGIF Spot and have nothing but great experiences with it.

The ON7LDS Nextion Screen driver is publicly available to every Nextion Screen owner, regardless of who built it at https://github.com/on7lds/NextionDriver

The TGIF Spot package is available to every TGIF Spot owner and/or anyone that wants to convert a 3.5" or 2.4 " Nextion Screen into a TGIF Spot at
2.4" https://github.com/ea7kdo/NX3224K04
3.5" https://github.com/ea7kdo/NX4832K035
All the information to rebuild the software in a TGIF Hotspot is Commonly Available

Additionally https://github.com/ea7kdo/Scripts contains various script files that will
1)Download and Install the ON7LDS Nextion Screen Driver
2)Download and Install the EA7KDO TGIF Screens for the 2.4" or 3.5" Nextion Screens
3)Flash the tft file into the Nextion Screen from the pi-star command line

The manual install instructions for the TGIF Spot are also commonly available at http://mitchhopto.com/InstallNextionDriver.html

The only part that is NOT commonly available is the source code for the screens that make up the TGIF Hotspot
Not many software developers will provide the source code for their product.

I don't blame Mitch EA7KDO for not providing the source coder for his screens. Early in the process, the source was made available and a few hams made minor tweaks and distributed the package as their own. There are always a few that spoil things for the many.

In my opinion there are no Nextion Screens that will provide all the bells and whistles available in the TGIF Hotspot

Phil VE3RD
kd6qfo

Post by kd6qfo »

@VE3RD:
Thanks for the detailed and informative response. If only the TGIF Hotspot seller would have responded with the same information or published such data or links to it when I requested it, I'd be happily enjoying the hotspot now. Instead, I now have negative opinion of the seller and my interactions with him.

Not taking away from the hardware, it seems like a reasonable device but at a price. The screen features I can see would be good value add to some, not really for me in my application.

Thanks again, I'll keep your post and reference just in case I dedice to keep the TGIF device.

Have a great day and stay safe my friend.
M1DNS
Pi-Star Team

Post by M1DNS »

KD8DVR wrote: Oddly, enough, my previous post on this thread got deleted. hmmm.
Unlike the FB group the forum doesnt give an option to indicate to its poster why their post gets removed, but as you kinda asked... It got deleted as instead of given an opinion on the subject you launched a personal attack on another member, with the context of your reply. Considered Serious enough for it be remove, but not serious enough for YOU to be removed.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Andrew M1DNS.
Pi-star Admin Team.
KD8DVR

Re: TGIF Hotspot 3.5

Post by KD8DVR »

M1DNS wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:09 am
KD8DVR wrote: Oddly, enough, my previous post on this thread got deleted. hmmm.
Unlike the FB group the forum doesnt give an option to indicate to its poster why their post gets removed, but as you kinda asked... It got deleted as instead of given an opinion on the subject you launched a personal attack on another member, with the context of your reply. Considered Serious enough for it be remove, but not serious enough for YOU to be removed.

Well, good. That post was a bit harsh. I'm actually glad it was removed. It really is against my nature to be that harsh.
AntiSquid Disclaimer: All messages posted are personal opinion only and may not constitute fact.
WY7JT

Post by WY7JT »

KE7FNS wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 11:22 pm Seems like the seller did even less of his own work and just assembled other peoples work.

I wish some software developers would realize that making their source code public would benefit the overall project and stimulate progress, and not focus on such silly things as protecting their code.
The seller actually solders and sets up the screen internal to the case (main offering), configuring the hotspot providing a service for people that don't want to do it themselves. And since it's primarily intended for TGIF users, they include the bidirectional screen that was developed by one of the TGIF founders and other TGIF members. They make the install script and TFT files available for anyone to use, but not the HMI files as they have their reasons. They've added a lot of touch functionality with associated bash scripts, with some unique to TGIF like disconnecting the active talk group directly from the display... Consequently, I added the 2.4 version to my DVMega hotspot myself and I would say it's the neatest and most functional Nextion setup I've seen. I've had an SD card go bad and it's not that difficult to set up from scratch (links were given in a previous post). And you can get on TGIF 31665 and chat with the seller and screen developers, and you'd find them helpful and accessible. It's unfortunate how they've been represented in this thread.
WY7JT

Post by WY7JT »

We're not writing a technical manual, it's bidirectional as you can use the touchscreen to enable/disable modes and interact with your hotspot in variety of ways. But the question is why are you so angry and acting like this in the forum?
M1DNS
Pi-Star Team

Post by M1DNS »

WY7JT wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:14 pm We're not writing a technical manual, it's bidirectional as you can use the touchscreen to enable/disable modes and interact with your hotspot in variety of ways.
Whilst the devices can be thought of as '2 way'' given they talk between one another...

The signal chain in each device isnt bi- directional.

The nextion tx pin talks to the serial ports rx pin. In ONE direction.

The Tx pin on the serial port talks to the Rx pin on the nextion. In One direction

So its two channels and each signal is flowing in its one sole direction.

Think of it as using two simplex channels between two ham ops...

Im transmitting on vhf where you are listening to me.
You are transmitting on uhf where i am listening to you.

We have 2 way chat (bi-directional) as we can both hear one another. But the signal chains aren't bi_directional. Its two signals, with each going in its own single direction. So we reference the signal, not the devices and so making it directional.

Andrew M1DNS.
Pi-star Admin Team.