Two strange issues with MMDVM/Pi-Star

General support for the Pi-Star System
g8nsz

Two strange issues with MMDVM/Pi-Star

Post by g8nsz »

Hi All. I have a couple of issues with my RPi/MMDVM setup which I have just put together. Firstly, I have used pi-star with my DVAP for some time. I get time messages and ID messages transmitted as expected from the DVAP setup. I have now made a clean install on another RPi with a generic MMDVM 'hat' fitted. I now see the G8NSZ/TIME and G8NSZ/INFO showing on the Dashboard which I never had with the DVAP setup (same pi-star version). However, unlike with the DVAP, I am only hearing the Time calls and nothing when the Info call is triggered. Any thoughts? Settings seem to be the same on both. Not a great loss but..... ;)

The other issue I have is with an apparent "lock-up" of the software/MMDVM. So far only seen when on busy channels my system stops hearing my transmissions. I can hear incoming traffic and it is all showing on the Dashboard. However, my transmissions cannot be heard. I can change Reflectors either on the Dashboard or through the ircddbRemote app on my phone but my transmissions still cannot be heard by the system after any change. I can see the yellow LED activating, but the software takes no action. Again, any thoughts? Many thanks.
M1DNS
Pi-Star Team

Re: Two strange issues with MMDVM/Pi-Star

Post by M1DNS »

Hopefully your using the pistar setup with MMDVM host choosen and not Dstarrepeater which you would of used with the previous dvap install.

The other thing to ensure is you have chosen the correct mmdvm board in the hsrdware setup. Whilst some boards can work across a few different chosen settings only one setting will ensure its correct operation.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Andrew M1DNS.
Pi-star Admin Team.
g8nsz

Post by g8nsz »

Thanks for the reply. I have set it up as a MMDVM, I believe. Everything works fine except for these couple of issues. The board is, supposedly, a V/UHF board and it does try to do something on VHF but not at all well:-(. UHF is fine, however. How can I tell what it is I have? The Dashboard says HS_Hat:v1.5.1b and 14.7456MHz TCXO. Thanks.

Mike-G8NSZ
M1DNS
Pi-Star Team

Post by M1DNS »

From the CLI use the command
pistar-findmodem

Andrew M1DNS.
Pi-star Admin Team.
M1DNS
Pi-Star Team

Post by M1DNS »

I think the chances of the boards creator installing the incorrect firmware would be slim to non existent, but

Yes i can see a situation if a user themselves have attempted to update the board with different firmwares. In that getting an incorrect report.

In this particular instance i cant see that the op has yet attempted an update, and so presuming the board is running with its shipped firmware.

Andrew M1DNS.
Pi-star Admin Team.
g8nsz

Post by g8nsz »

g8nsz wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 11:55 am The other issue I have is with an apparent "lock-up" of the software/MMDVM. So far only seen when on busy channels my system stops hearing my transmissions. I can hear incoming traffic and it is all showing on the Dashboard. However, my transmissions cannot be heard. I can change Reflectors either on the Dashboard or through the ircddbRemote app on my phone but my transmissions still cannot be heard by the system after any change. I can see the yellow LED activating, but the software takes no action. Again, any thoughts? Many thanks.
As an addendum to this issue, I note that there appears to be an option in Expert Mode for Announcement in the DStarRepeater listing and "announcementRecordRPT1". I am presuming this would allow me to record a message such as "This is the G8NSZ DSTAR Node in Cheltenham". If so, what format should it be in and where would it go?

You can tell I have little work to do at the moment and I'm playing :D
g8nsz

Post by g8nsz »

Thanks Andrew. It is as shipped from China:-)
M1DNS
Pi-Star Team

Post by M1DNS »

Yes you are correct the announcement feature is for that purpose you choose your "private" record rpt1 field and the software records you for that over, that recording then becomes the announcement transmitted each time at your selected interval. I think initially it was asked for as a way of gathering interests for club meetups, rally annoucements etc. There were options using the 'text transmit' variable that trasmitted a slow text message also but i dont think Andy has that variable set in the config. page.

Andrew M1DNS.
Pi-star Admin Team.
g8nsz

Post by g8nsz »

Thanks again Andrew. I have had a try at recording an announcement but no joy so far. The DStarRepeater Dashboard in Expert mode shows announcementEnabled as 0 and announcementRecordRPT1 & RPT2 as blank. From what you said, the recording will be from my transmission? I have tried changing announcementRecordRPT1 from a blank to 1 and resetting then transmitting, then announcementRecordRPT1 back to blank and also to 0. Putting announcementEnabled to 1 (rebooting after each of these steps) doesn't seem to result in anything being sent out. Can you recall the steps needed to get this going? Again, I emphasise that I am just 'playing' with the software so not an urgent issue! Thanks.