LCD GPIO Display (no nextion)

General support for the Pi-Star System
iz5wga

LCD GPIO Display (no nextion)

Post by iz5wga »

Hello all,

any chances to use this http://www.lcdwiki.com/3.5inch_RPi_Display with pi-star to see QSO's DMR infos?

Thanks

Iz5wga
AF6VN

Re: LCD GPIO Display (no nextion)

Post by AF6VN »

Not without some programming.

That display runs the R-Pi X-Window desktop, likely via a framebuffer grab, not maybe directly from X. Note: to my knowledge Pi-Star images do not include or run X-Window, so there is NO graphical user interface natively available.

As I understand it, Nextion displays are "intelligent" -- they are "programmed" with a screen layout, and some script then sends data to the "fields" of the screen.

--
AF6VN
Dennis L Bieber
iz5wga

Post by iz5wga »

I see...
I'm wondering then what is the Display dropdown menu for in Pi-star :\

Thanks for the answer :D
KN2TOD

Post by KN2TOD »

Where do you plug in the MMDVM board with this display attached?
AF6VN

Post by AF6VN »

KE7FNS wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 6:39 pm
AF6VN wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 4:49 pm Not without some programming.
It doesn't require any programming at all, just installing all of the software packages needed to support a desktop GUI. Then you just use a web browser to open the dashboard on the same computer the dashboard server is running on.
I was presuming the OP wanted something similar to what the Nextion displays produce.

Your solution, using a browser on the desktop, requires having the system boot-up logged into the desktop, and some means of starting the browser on the dashboard to make it "turnkey".

The dashboard isn't going to show very much in a display of that resolution -- cropped down to JUST the "gateway activity" box still comes up as 640 pixels on my monitor... Don't want to think about running that on a 480 pixel wide window. That's only one increment above the resolution of my 14 year old PDA.

--
AF6VN
Dennis L Bieber
iz5wga

Post by iz5wga »

Let's say that I already own that screen and I'd like to use it rather than buy another one. I'm pretty comfortable using Linux (I'm using it as main OS both for work and recreation since I was 18, now I'm 40) and I own an mmdvm GPIO/USB board. I was planning to plug the mmdvm in the USB port and the display in the gpio. BUT I'm a network security administrator and I know only scripting languages and almost nothing about C, JAVA and other middle/high level languages that are not strictly linked to my profession, so "some programming" is not an option, unless it's some basic strings besides compiling :-/
What I know is that I tried to install the LCD drivers and my hotspots just stopped responding to radio frequency (and the display was working but uselessly). I had to reflash the pistar image. I suppose I can give it another try, maybe on the p3 or p4 instead than on the p1 like I did... And add the xorg part.