Please help me to see what I am doing wrong....?

General support for the Pi-Star System
N1JWW

Please help me to see what I am doing wrong....?

Post by N1JWW »

I have Pi-Star running on a Jumbo Spot. Configured for DMR and I am connected to TG 91. I see activity on the OLED display, who is talking, a pic of the countries flag and call sign.

My Radio in my truck is a Yaesu FTM-400DR. I have a mem location with the simplex UHF Freq set to 446.600 mhz just like the Pi-Star config. I am hearing the radio at the same some as the activity showing up on the hot spot display, but it is not voice, sounds like a mechanical buzzing sound preceded by a beep. My mode is set to FM on that mem location.

Any idea what I could be doing wrong?

Jeff W Waldrop / N1JWW :o
AF6VN

Re: Please help me to see what I am doing wrong....?

Post by AF6VN »

N1JWW wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 11:10 am Any idea what I could be doing wrong?
Expecting a Yaesu System Fusion radio to decode digital packets that have DMR headers.. With the radio set to FM, you are hearing the raw modulation (think of the beeps/whistles that used to be heard from dial-up modems).

You probably need to configure Pi-Star for YSF2DMR (I think the cross-over modes are <radio>2<network>), and set the radio up for YSF (don't know if you need full-rate voice, or the mixed voice/data mode).

--
AF6VN
Dennis L Bieber
N1JWW

Post by N1JWW »

Thanks, Dennis. I am a newbie and trying to learn.

Jeff
AF6VN

Post by AF6VN »

Of course there is always the possibility of just using YSF mode in Pi-Star, and giving up on DMR talk groups, instead selecting YSF "rooms" https://www.pistar.uk/ysf_reflectors.php (note that the numbers under the DMR2YSF are for users of DMR radios crossing to YSF).

--
AF6VN
Dennis L Bieber
N1JWW

Post by N1JWW »

AF6VN wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 5:26 pm Of course there is always the possibility of just using YSF mode in Pi-Star, and giving up on DMR talk groups, instead selecting YSF "rooms" https://www.pistar.uk/ysf_reflectors.php (note that the numbers under the DMR2YSF are for users of DMR radios crossing to YSF).
I logged into the Hotspot, changed the Mode to YSF and set "Texas Nexus". Still no voice, just hear beep followed by static. I am about to give up.

Jeff W Waldrop

N1JWW
M1DNS
Pi-Star Team

Post by M1DNS »

Ensure your using DN mode as thats what most of the users of YSF reflectors are running with.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Andrew M1DNS.
Pi-star Admin Team.
N1JWW

Post by N1JWW »

Yes Sir, I know it was set to FM.

Thanks,

Jeff
N1JWW

Post by N1JWW »

M1DNS wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 8:42 pm Ensure your using DN mode as thats what most of the users of YSF reflectors are running with.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
OK, Now it is working with the Mode on radio set to DN..... I am just getting started with the digital stuff....

Jeff W Waldrop
G8SEZ

Post by G8SEZ »

You can set it to auto mode, there should be a bar over the mode shown and this will then select the correct mode once it's had a few seconds to recognise what is being transmitted.
--

Brian G8SEZ