MMDVMHost update

General support for the Pi-Star System
KE7FNS
Pi-Star Team

Re: MMDVMHost update

Post by KE7FNS »

VK7HSE wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 10:01 am So unless you have a direct contrabution or financial interest in the project (this is my poor attempt at sarcasm) you get what you pay for!
I think my technical support assistance on the forums is enough.
If someones previous actions are any indication of their future actions, then I predict the deletion and removal of access will happen at any moment. 7-11-2020.

"07/13/20 This Website Has Been Taken Down" ... again :lol:
KE7FNS
Pi-Star Team

Post by KE7FNS »

VK7HSE wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 10:01 am 2. Abandon using pistar and compile the relevant pieces of software yourself and update it as frequently as you please!
Done.

Thanks for the motivational shove I needed.

mmdvmhost.jpg
mmdvmhost.jpg (237.28 KiB) Viewed 1030 times
If someones previous actions are any indication of their future actions, then I predict the deletion and removal of access will happen at any moment. 7-11-2020.

WA1OKB

Post by WA1OKB »

KE7FNS wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 1:35 am
LU5AGQ wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 12:43 am It is. But I can understand people like Andy that do this as a hobby or for fun and there's no obligation at all and personally I appreciate their effort and dedication for the amateur radio community.
But when we all have to sit around and wait for one person to update our software that unfortunately creates an obligation because he's the only one that holds the secret key.

I've asked for the build information and specifically asked him to share his makefile more than a year ago.
viewtopic.php?t=1873

God forbid he suffer an illness, or gets run over by a bus or something.... He should publish everything necessary to build so that if, God forbid, anything ever happened, someone else could pick up the torch.
KE7FNS
Pi-Star Team

Post by KE7FNS »

WA1OKB wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 6:14 pm God forbid he suffer an illness, or gets run over by a bus or something.... He should publish everything necessary to build so that if, God forbid, anything ever happened, someone else could pick up the torch.
I have spoken with Andy and the reasons for his decisions do have merit. I don't necessarily agree with them 100%, but I understand why things are the way they are.

If you break everything in the process of updating to a new version of software, the lynch mob shows up and complains, if you don't update fast enough a different lynch mob shows up and complains. There is no way to keep everyone happy all at the same time.

There is also the issue that certain individuals in the amateur radio community simply copy and paste another persons work and claim it as their own or "enhanced". If you search around there are even custom slightly modified pi-star variants available.