Hotel Ethernet Port

General support for the Pi-Star System
N1JWW

Hotel Ethernet Port

Post by N1JWW »

My hotspot doesn't connect to Hotel's Enthernet port. The yellow and green LED's are flashing but isn't showing a network.

Any thoughts?

Jeff / N1JWW
AF6VN

Re: Hotel Ethernet Port

Post by AF6VN »

The most likely reason would be that the hotel WiFi is configured to require you to validate via a web page that it provides upon first access. The assumption for many of these "convenience" WiFi access points is that the users have phones/tablets/laptops and 90% of the usage is via a web-browser; the remaining 10% may be SMTP/POP3 (and a smidge of NNTP){these latter will not function until one has validated by browser}.

Rather than handing out a password to the hotel SSID, which one could then give to anyone on the street, they require one to log-in via the browser (possibly with name and room number or event), and that sets up a temporary link in the firewall -- tying the MAC address of the logged-in device to the WiFi connection (so logging in with a phone first won't work -- the MAC addresses of the devices are different).

--
AF6VN
Dennis L Bieber
N1JWW

Post by N1JWW »

Thanks guys,

was evacuated out of South Louisiana and I did manage (tethered to iPad) to monitor TG 3122 (Louisiana Statewide) during that little storm that came thru..

I did order a TP-Link travel router for next time....

2 hurricanes 6 weeks apart.
kp4djt

Post by kp4djt »

I have to travel a lot, I have found that I can call the hotel IT numbers and tell them I have headless devices that need to be able to get on the network. I give them my room number and they always try to get me on the network. 99% of the time they do get it done but every once in a while there is something weird and no matter what they CSO does he/she cannot get it on line. But they are rare and far between. Also I have found that most hotels that have wired internet are open and do not have re-directs, some do, but again a call to the IT guy has always got my wired port "freed up" from the stinking re-direct. Not sure why they do it on the wired side, but some do.