Failure to restart after nightly updates.

General support for the Pi-Star System
F5VMR

Failure to restart after nightly updates.

Post by F5VMR »

F5ZLR (DMR) running 4.1.2 often requires a manual reboot, as the dashboard indicates it freezes after the nightly update. Likewise this morning I had to manual reboot it as there had been no traffic since the update (Normally around 03:30 ECT). Its counterpart F5ZLW (DMR) also on 4.1.2 has no issues and had restarted after the update. They are both on the same local network despite being separated by 45 Kilometres. Are there any pointers as to where I might start looking for the source of the issue?
KN2TOD

Re: Failure to restart after nightly updates.

Post by KN2TOD »

For starters, check these (in no particular order or importance):

Thermal problems: is the unit overheating? (Ventilation problems? Is it near something that heats up? possibly seasonally?)

Power problems: is the unit running under-voltage or near its lower limits? (is the power supply on an UPS? Or is it possible the area is seeing power surges or sags? Recently?)

Check the syslogs (compare the two) around the time of the suspected failures and see if anything unusual jumps out at you.

Some long shots:

Some folks have reported problems with their masters appearing to hang which makes it look like the hotspot has stopped or is unresponsive. They report changing masters fixes the problem. I have my doubts about this one, but .. it's worth a look.

EMI: new (or recently restarted) sources of interference that may be overpowering the unit, an HVAC system for example. Hard to track down, but ... just reorienting or moving the unit to a new (nearby) location may fix this.
G8SEZ

Post by G8SEZ »

Could be an incipient failure in the SD card, I saw something like this last year and a change of card fixed it.
--

Brian G8SEZ
F5VMR

Post by F5VMR »

Thanks for your input. This occurs randomly and has only occurred once since I reported it.
As regards type of Pi, it has occurred on Pi2B, Pi3B and also Pi3A, all with different hats or devices, and all are fitted with cooling fans and all run below 38C under load. All three repeaters and a duplex hot spot have had this occurence. It's not a real issue, and a manual restart kicks the systems back into line.