PiStar dashboard continues to show I'm transmitting, when I'm definietly not

General support for the Pi-Star System
VK3KYY

PiStar dashboard continues to show I'm transmitting, when I'm definietly not

Post by VK3KYY »

Over the last 3 or 4 weeks, I've had a problem on several occasions where when I released the PTT on my HT and it stopped transmitting, dashboard continued to show that I was transmitting.

Initially I thought perhaps the radio really was transmitting, so I removed the battery, but the Dashboard continues to show that I'm transmitting.

I'm running a MMDVM-HS duplex board (GPIO) on a RPi3.

The Rx and Tx frequencies are separated by 7Mhz on UHF, 431Mhz and 438Mhz. Using a fully updated PiStar 4.1.2

I've only noticed this relatively recently, and initially I thought I had a hardware fault on the MMDVM-HS board, so I replaced it, and also replaced the RPi, but the problem still exists.

I have a feeling it may be related to the signal strength received by the hotspot being quite low, because my radio is connected to an external antenna about 10m above by shack, shielded by a corrugated metal roof, and I know the MMDVM-HS receiver sensitivity is pretty bad.

I'm still trying to reliably replicate the problem, and capture the MMDVM log files, but I thought I would also post here, in case anyone else has seen a similar problem

Thanks

Roger

VK3KYY
VK7HSE

Re: PiStar dashboard continues to show I'm transmitting, when I'm definietly not

Post by VK7HSE »

Sometimes the mmdvm log chokes and the delay causes the page to consume CPU, my guess is that the processor is labouring briefly and Apache hasn't refreshed. Also sometimes if there's multiple logs they are all being processed. Try to clear the log files from /var/log/pistar and reboot, see if it happens again within the next few days...

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

AF6VN

Re: PiStar dashboard continues to show I'm transmitting, when I'm definietly not

Post by AF6VN »

VK7HSE wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 8:50 am Try to clear the log files from /var/log/pistar and reboot, see if it happens again within the next few days...
In normal configurations, /var/log/* is located in a small RAM-disk -- which means that simply rebooting will clear out the log files.

--
AF6VN
Dennis L Bieber
VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY »

Unfortunately I power cycled PiStar after this last happened, as I was in the middle of a QSO.

Hence power cycling effectively deletes the log files as they are stored in RAM.

I'll check the throttling, but the Rpi3B, is powered from a 4A USB PSU, via a very short USB cable (only 20cm long), so I hoped it would be getting enough voltage.

And next time this happens, I will SSH into the Rpi and get the log file, to see precisely whats going on.