Simplex jumbospot issue

General support for the Pi-Star System
4S7EF

Simplex jumbospot issue

Post by 4S7EF »

I have a simplex jumbospot dedicated for DMR. The MMDVM firmware is v1.5.2 and the PI-star software version is 4.1.3

The hotspot was working fine until one day I found that the DMR box in Modes Enabled and DMR net box in Network Status turned RED a few seconds after start up.

Flashing the SD card did not work but if I were to flash the MMDVM firmware or downgrade the MMDVM firmware, the two boxes referred to above will turn green and stay green even if I were to power OFF and power ON a few seconds later. The hotspot will remain active for hours.

The problem I face is when I power OFF the hotspot (usually from the dashboard) and power ON the NEXT day. I find that the DMR and DMR net boxes would start to open GREEN but will quickly turn RED. If I were to then flash MMDVM firmware the DMR and DMR net will turn and stay green after a reboot.

I have dismantled the hotspot and have reassembled it but I still have the same issue.

I wonder what the problem can be?

4S7EF
4S7EF

Re: Simplex jumbospot issue

Post by 4S7EF »

I am using a RPi0

When I had the problem, the log stated "unable to read the firmware version after six attempts"

Now I have had the hotspot ON since about 9 hours and everything is stable.

I plan to shutdown the hotspot and try again tomorrow morning to see if the issue returns.

Incidentally I have selected "STM32 DVM / MMDVM_HS - Raspberry Pi Hat (GPIO)"

Thank you for your response

4S7EF
AF6VN

Post by AF6VN »

4S7EF wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 9:31 am When I had the problem, the log stated "unable to read the firmware version after six attempts"
That would imply a problem either with the radio module, a flaky connection to said module, or possibly an undersized power-supply.

--
AF6VN
Dennis L Bieber
4S7EF

Post by 4S7EF »

AF6VN wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 5:17 pm
4S7EF wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 9:31 am When I had the problem, the log stated "unable to read the firmware version after six attempts"
That would imply a problem either with the radio module, a flaky connection to said module, or possibly an undersized power-supply.
I dismantled the HAT from the Pi0 and reinstalled. Perhaps I will do it again after cleaning the GPIO pins. Strangely though the system works perfectly after a MMDVM flash using the command "sudo pistar-mmdvmhshatflash hs_hat"

I use an AC power adapter 2A 5Vdc which is shared with another RPi0 dedicated for YSF.
4S7EF

Post by 4S7EF »

KE7FNS wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 5:32 pm
Ok, that indicates to me that the hat is not booting correctly.

First check to make sure you do not have any boot jumpers installed.

What do the LEDS on the hat do when you power on the hotspot from a completely powered off state?

The PWR LED (normally green) should light up, and all the other LEDS (various colors) on the hat should blink 3 times. Then the SRV LED (normally red) should blink slowly and if the proper serial connection was established it should blink faster.

Try changing the modem configuration in Pi-star to:

Code: Select all

MMDVM_HS_Hat (DB9MAT & DF2ET) for Pi (GPIO)
I do not think that there are any jumpers. The LEDs appear to work as they should. When the hotspot is first powered up, the MMDVM shows on the OLED screen that it is in START UP state, the DMR and DMR net start GREEN, records the QSO on the dashboard but after a few seconds will turn RED.

However after flashing the MMDVM all appears to work normally for several hours without any issues. If I power OFF and power ON it still works OK. The problem comes up if I power OFF and power ON overnight. I have changed the modem type as suggested. I powered OFF and ON and the LEDs worked as you have stated, and the HS is working normally. :)

I will let it run for a while and shut it down and power up again after several hours or tomorrow morning to see if the problem will resurface. Thank you all for your invaluable suggestions.
4S7EF
4S7EF

Post by 4S7EF »

1. The LEDs worked as described. The HS worked momentarily and then stopped.
2. When the HS was starting up a set of LEDs flashed (though I am uncertain how many times), then the RED light was flashing slowly at first and then rapidly after MMDVM start up. Shortly after that the RED light stopped altogether.
3.I have another RPI (that is dedicated to YSF and is working) and when I get some time I will exchange HATS and see what happens.
4. I am using a SANDISK SD 16GB card, but will buy another and try it out.
5. Finally I did the MMDVM RESET and the HS came alive!!! :) :) :)
6. In listening mode I have a GREEN light ON with a flashing RED light. When someone calls I have a WHITE and a RED light ON along with the flashing RED light and the GREEN light below that.

I will now shutdown the HS and RESTART after a few hours to see if the problem persists.
4S7EF

Post by 4S7EF »

I did a SD card swap and the HS worked perfectly. I have now reflashed the SD card and all appears to be working as normal. :) :) :)

Thank you very much for your patience and guidance. I have learnt a lot with this problem.

73 de 4S7EF
4S7EF

Post by 4S7EF »

Happy New year to you too Sir. 73 de 4S7EF