RESOLVED - RadioID.net vs. QRZ.com

General support for the Pi-Star System
N7HHI

Re: RadioID.net vs. QRZ.com

Post by N7HHI »

MW0MWZ wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:50 pm https://github.com/AndyTaylorTweet/Pi-S ... ost/lh.php

Lines 42 and 45, I left the old ones commented out, it's like I knew that this would come up :)
You can just comment the current ones (comment lines 41 and 44, uncomment 42 and 45 and job done).

I have to say, don't rush to change it locally unless you REALLY want to, if there is enough of a need, I'll add a flag somewhere to swap them over.
Thanks Andy for that bit of information.
This works fine for my MMDVMHost.
I also have a DVAP that uses DStarRepeater. Which file needs modified for that one?
Scott - N7HHI
N9IJS

Post by N9IJS »

Another vote for QRZ - But I guess a switch is nice (although I rarely ever want to look up someone's radioid.net info).

[EDIT] How about instead of a "switch" - and of course, this may be more complicated, an additional column with "RID" or something in in so you can have both? Click call sign for QRZ, click RID for RadioID.net...?

Just talking about of my [SELF-CENSORED] because I have no idea how complicated something like that would be, but that would be pretty schveet...

[ANOTHER EDIT] When I did the MØLXQ solution, I (as some others) ran into the "No Space Left on Device" issue. I then stumbled upon this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=524&p=16584#p16584

And it solved the problem. Now I'm back to QRZ and life is good.
Last edited by N9IJS on Wed Jan 27, 2021 5:32 am, edited 2 times in total.
N7HHI

Post by N7HHI »

N7HHI wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 10:07 pm
Thanks Andy for that bit of information.
This works fine for my MMDVMHost.
I also have a DVAP that uses DStarRepeater. Which file needs modified for that one?
I think I found the answer to my own question. Is it /var/www/dashboard/dstarrepeater/last_herd.php ?
Scott - N7HHI
N7HHI

Post by N7HHI »

N7HHI wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 10:12 pm
I think I found the answer to my own question. Is it /var/www/dashboard/dstarrepeater/last_herd.php ?
That did the trick.
Scott - N7HHI
M6XRM

Post by M6XRM »

MW0MWZ wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:50 pm I have to say, don't rush to change it locally unless you REALLY want to, if there is enough of a need, I'll add a flag somewhere to swap them over.
If we do feel it necessary to change it back locally, can you let us know how to do it please?

Best 73....Richie.
KG6RUT

Post by KG6RUT »

M6XRM wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 1:21 am
MW0MWZ wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:50 pm I have to say, don't rush to change it locally unless you REALLY want to, if there is enough of a need, I'll add a flag somewhere to swap them over.
If we do feel it necessary to change it back locally, can you let us know how to do it please?

Best 73....Richie.
Look back in the posts....the 2 lines were just rem'ed out so you can switch it back. Or someone wrote a script to do so, also a few posts back
M6XRM

Post by M6XRM »

KG6RUT wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 1:37 am Look back in the posts....the 2 lines were just rem'ed out so you can switch it back. Or someone wrote a script to do so, also a few posts back
Thanks sir...overlooked the script :(
KG6RUT

Post by KG6RUT »

M6XRM wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 1:38 am
KG6RUT wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 1:37 am Look back in the posts....the 2 lines were just rem'ed out so you can switch it back. Or someone wrote a script to do so, also a few posts back
Thanks sir.
NP!
W4GLE

Post by W4GLE »

MW0MWZ wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:10 pm Honestly I am kind on the fence about it all....

but the thought process goes like this;
QRZ is generic Ham related information, while radioid is only relating to the digital end of the hobby.
There is advertising on both, but less on radioid.

I can't say I have a specific allegiance to either, but in my opinion (and it is just opinion) radioid is a better fit.

Feel free to change my mind :)

I think it would be best to let everyone decide if they want QRZ or Radio ID. I personally think QRZ is the best because if you want to E-Mail someone and they have their E-Mail listed, then you have it. Thanks Andy and everyone that helps keep Pi-Star up and going for all you do!!
W9DWH

Post by W9DWH »

Myself I like the gentleman's suggestion of clicking on the callsign for QRZ and the numerics for Radio.net.