General support for the Pi-Star System
W3KIT

Re: Post 25th Jan Changes

Post by W3KIT »

More follow up.

Fresh 3.4.17 (yes, I know it is old) with 20190119 = DPRS OKAY
Fresh 3.4.17 with 20210129 = DPRS OKAY
Fresh 4.1.2 with 20200520 = DPRS OKAY
Fresh 4.1.2 with 20210129 = DPRS BUTSTED!
Fresh 4.1.3 with 20210129 = DPRS also BUTSTED!

Not sure why with 20210129 is okay with 3.4.17 but not okay with 4.1.2, is there something 20210129 did not like in 4.1.2?

I certainly do not have enough knowledge to tell. Perhaps other with more knowledgeable can explain.

As I do not use DPRS, others may have an issue as they may be using DPRS.

73, Kit
G8SEZ

Post by G8SEZ »

Have you done the RaspiOS updates underneath Pi-Star? It might make a difference.
--

Brian G8SEZ
g7kbr

Post by g7kbr »

G8SEZ wrote:Have you done the RaspiOS updates underneath Pi-Star? It might make a difference.
I haven’t on mine, because of COVID I am unable to access the site. I don’t want to brick the system.

Regards

Paul

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
W3KIT

Post by W3KIT »

G8SEZ wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 3:55 pm Have you done the RaspiOS updates underneath Pi-Star? It might make a difference.
Was the question above directed at me? At any rate, I do not know "RaspiOS" updates is. Is it the same as "Upgrade" from an Expert menu?

Could please you clarify "RaspiOS".

I start off with 4.1.2 / 20200520 and then "update" then "upgrade" to 4.1.3 / 20210129 when DPRS stopped sending location to APRS.FI

Not sure if this have anything to do with newly added GPS/d-PRS 2 days ago.

I noticed your G8SEZ-N updated, that is fine because I think that was YSF. My W3KIT-N is updating as well if I want to enable it.

However W3KIT-B (which is D-star), will not updated. So, I think something is missing on D-star side.

73, Kit
G8SEZ

Post by G8SEZ »

W3KIT wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 4:18 pm
G8SEZ wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 3:55 pm Have you done the RaspiOS updates underneath Pi-Star? It might make a difference.
Was the question above directed at me? At any rate, I do not know "RaspiOS" updates is. Is it the same as "Upgrade" from an Expert menu?

Could please you clarify "RaspiOS".

I start off with 4.1.2 / 20200520 and then "update" then "upgrade" to 4.1.3 / 20210129 when DPRS stopped sending location to APRS.FI
RaspiOS is the new name for Raspbian Linux, the RPi people decided to rename it.

If you have accessed via SSH from the configuration->expert->SSH access menu and then logged in as user pi-star then a 'sudo pistar-update' will also update the underlying Raspbian Buster operating system. However it might also be worth running 'rpi-rw' followed by 'sudo apt update' and then 'sudo apt full-upgrade' as this will ensure that all packages are updated.

I understand if you are reluctant to do this remotely, I can only say that I have 4 PiStar hotspots with various hardware and have never lost access to them using these methods while using v 3.4.x and later v 4.x images.
--

Brian G8SEZ
MW0MWZ
Site Admin

Post by MW0MWZ »

Please keep in mind that the dashboard and the binaries are separate things, so dashboard version whatever is not a measure of what version the binaries are.

Now - back to the subject at hand - the new ircDDBGateway is different; the APRS setup is designed to have another daemon that collects all of the APRS traffic and sends it all from just the one daemon - so I need to do some work to make that all work nicely - plus we clearly have some issues with people running 4.0 - that really has to go away.

I'll see if I can come up with a mirracle to make it work for everyone.
Andy

73 de MW0MWZ
http://pistar.uk
W3KIT

Post by W3KIT »

G8SEZ wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 5:12 pm
RaspiOS is the new name for Raspbian Linux, the RPi people decided to rename it.

If you have accessed via SSH from the configuration->expert->SSH access menu and then logged in as user pi-star then a 'sudo pistar-update' will also update the underlying Raspbian Buster operating system. However it might also be worth running 'rpi-rw' followed by 'sudo apt update' and then 'sudo apt full-upgrade' as this will ensure that all packages are updated.

I understand if you are reluctant to do this remotely, I can only say that I have 4 PiStar hotspots with various hardware and have never lost access to them using these methods while using v 3.4.x and later v 4.x images.
Thank you kindly. I have never done that, just use the update and upgrade from the main menu. Never did from SSH. Will try :D

73, Kit
W3KIT

Post by W3KIT »

MW0MWZ wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 5:36 pm Please keep in mind that the dashboard and the binaries are separate things, so dashboard version whatever is not a measure of what version the binaries are.

Now - back to the subject at hand - the new ircDDBGateway is different; the APRS setup is designed to have another daemon that collects all of the APRS traffic and sends it all from just the one daemon - so I need to do some work to make that all work nicely - plus we clearly have some issues with people running 4.0 - that really has to go away.

Oh, thank you. I rarely use DPRS from ICOM, mostly APRS from real TNC or radio with APRS like FTM400 and such. I was just wondering when I saw the original post on this thread and I see the same thing when I tried to enabled DPRS noticed with new dashboard APRS.FI is no longer get the info from my hotspot. Only on DPRS though, I think YSF work fine. :D

73, Kit
MW0MWZ
Site Admin

Post by MW0MWZ »

It has limited support for MMDVM devices, and those devices are pretty much the original boards on the Arduino Due and just about nothing else.

Those could show up on that port, and nowhere else (to my knowlage)
Andy

73 de MW0MWZ
http://pistar.uk
g7kbr

Post by g7kbr »

MW0MWZ wrote:Please keep in mind that the dashboard and the binaries are separate things, so dashboard version whatever is not a measure of what version the binaries are.

Hi Andy

Is their something we can do to get the D-Star network back on line. Or will we need to wait for your work on debugging this problem.

Thanks again for all your great work.

Regards

Paul

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk