APRS Connection Stops Working Every Day Pistar v 4.1.4

General support for the Pi-Star System
ZL3DMH

APRS Connection Stops Working Every Day Pistar v 4.1.4

Post by ZL3DMH »

APRS Server connections all stop working at 13.00 NZ Time every day (0.00 UTC)

I have 3 Pistar systems here that I have connected and tried on all 6 of the APRS Servers in pistar and they all disconnect at 1.00 pm everyday/Afternoon and tracking will not work untill the systems are rebooted.

Of course on the other side of the planet this would be around midnight and probably not noticed because the updates that happen a couple of hours later would reset the connection and all would appear OK throughout the day.

Another Station local in the city who has a hotspot running version 4.1.4 also experiences the exact same thing,
And Another Station running 2 Pistar V 4.1.4 setups About 80 Km south of me is seeing exactly the same happen also.

It seems to appear that all the APRS Servers are resetting connections at 0.00 UTC or Pistar APRS Gateway is.

ZL3DMH Doug
ZL3DMH

Re: APRS Connection Stops Working Every Day Pistar v 4.1.4

Post by ZL3DMH »

After patiently waiting for pi-star updates 20210305 to come in and hoping that a fix would be in the updates to rectify the APRS disconnection at 0.00 UTC unfortunately there was not, it still disconnects.

So I decided to download from pi-star downloads a clean version 4.1.4 and installed, configured and updated that this morning,

All was working perfectly and I was following the location of a local Mobile Fusion user here as he travelled around the city as we chatted but as soon as 13.00 local time (0.00 UTC) came all location information on aprs.fi stopped instantly again on this new installation.

It would be nice to know if anyone else somewhere else in the world that has a fusion radio with GPS enabled and is transmitting to their APRS enabled hotspot/Repeater (ver 4.1.4) connected to a YSF Reflector- sees their tracking information working OK prior to 0.00 UTC but stops after 0.00 UTC and up until their overnight/early morning updates happen.

It would also be nice to know if Andy is aware of this and if there is going to be a fix to the problem at some point or are we just going to be stuck having to reboot the system here every afternoon to keep it working.

ZL3DMH Doug
ZL3REW

Post by ZL3REW »

I have tried the same thing.
New fresh download of 4.1.4 , install and setup.
Same result. At 0.00 UTC it stops sending APRS data to the servers.
Only way to fix is a reboot.
I find it hard to believe that you and i are the only two in the world that use this feature.
Hopefully someone will see this post and tell us what is going on.
Robin ZL3REW
ZL3DMH

Post by ZL3DMH »

Actualy it doesnt appear that the APRS server reconnects after the updates happen either.

I restarted my VHF high power system 22hours ago and was using it last night and location data was working up to turning in for the evening, on using my radio here this afternoon location data wouldnt show until I rebooted it which was about 5 hours after 0.00 UTC.

ZL3DMH Doug
ZL3OOC

Post by ZL3OOC »

Hi everyone! :)

I've discovered this also! My Hotspot disconnects me from APRS every day at 24:00 UTC - That's right in the middle of the day here! :evil:

Any way we can sort this out? :shock: All was well until I thing 4.1.4 :roll:

Thank you
Oliver

ZL3OOC
ZL3REW

Post by ZL3REW »

Doesn't look like we are going to get a fix for this so i guess we will have to use our own workaround.
k9bdh

Post by k9bdh »

Is it still doing this for you guys also? Same here. What software do you run for your own aprs server. We want to scrape the locations from our fusion repeater and have them for emcom locally on aprs with no internet

Brad
K9bdh
M1DNS
Pi-Star Team

Post by M1DNS »

What are you still doing on 4.1.4 update to the newest 4.1.6 bug fixes and changes are made along the way with each update. Your on an older release and asking if its been fixed. Move up to the current release that now uses aprsgateway and find out...

Sent via smoke signals from my SM-G935F M1DNS (Admin)

Andrew M1DNS.
Pi-star Admin Team.
k9bdh

Post by k9bdh »

Actually I am in the latest release and it still disconnects. I was just seeing from a older post if anyone else was still having issues