Wires-X crossmode?

General support for the Pi-Star System
K7LPK

Wires-X crossmode?

Post by K7LPK »

I put together a couple of Pi-star hotspots several weeks ago, and am very happy to be able to get access to worldwide YSF & FCS reflectors, as well as the Brandmeister DMR talk groups.

I originally got the hotspot because I have a Yaesu FT-991A, and there were no Wires-X repeaters in my area, and wanted to use the Fusion/C4FM capability of the radio, as well as play around with the Wires-X button. The modes on the hotspot I use are YSF and YSF2DMR.

Going beyond that, getting Wires-X working on the FT-991A can be a pricey proposition. While some Yaesu Fusion capable radios allow a simplified PDN mode of operation where all you need is a Windows computer running the Yaesu software, it's a lot more expensive setting up the 991A for Wires-X, as you also need to get an HRI200 interface, as well as a second Yaesu Fusion radio, a setup that costs several hundreds of dollars.

That said, I know that there are some Wires-X rooms that folks have linked to reflectors, but I was wondering if there were any technical and/or legal challenges to implementing Wires-X capability in Pi-star. It sure would be nice to see that features added to the capabilities of an already awsome device.

Larry
K7LPK
K3FZT

Re: Wires-X crossmode?

Post by K3FZT »

I'm a step behind you. I'm also a Yaesu FT-991a user, but I've not been able to get my radio connected to my hotspot on Xmit. I can and have listened to YSF QSOs in various rooms/reflectors, but I've not been able to have my duplex hotspot recognize my transmissions.

Any advice appreciated.

de K3FZT--73--Steve
K3FZT

Post by K3FZT »

After a great deal of experimentation I'm able to connect my FT-991A using C4FM to my hotspot 90+% of the time using "X" (Wires-X) after editing the first System Fusion section of the MMDVMHost entry "LowDeviation" to =1 (was 0). I tried it because the DN mode used by Wires-X is a much narrower voice bandwidth and this seemed worth a try. It fails mostly when the hotspot is streaming to my radio, so trying it on AmericaLink has been unrewarding. Trying it on a different reflector and then moving to America Link at the hotspot has been successful for me. I've not been able to change reflectors from the radio, only from the hotspot's web page.

73 de K3FZT / Steve
AF6VN

Post by AF6VN »

K3FZT wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 12:10 am It fails mostly when the hotspot is streaming to my radio, so trying it on AmericaLink has been unrewarding. Trying it on a different reflector and then moving to America Link at the hotspot has been successful for me. I've not been able to change reflectors from the radio, only from the hotspot's web page.
Most hotspots, unless a true duplex model (and even then it may not catch if the time slot is busy), will only hear your rig if the Admin page shows "LIstening" (with or without a particular mode for those configured to handle multiple modes).

--
AF6VN
Dennis L Bieber
K3FZT

Post by K3FZT »

<FacePalm> Yes, of course. Standard hotspot behavior.</FacePalm> It is a duplex hotspot and I have one just like it merrily running just fine for BM and TGIF using both time slots so I'd become habituated to there being one slot listening almost all the time. Sloppy non-thinking. Thank you, AF6VN. 73 / Steve