pi-star 4.1.4

General support for the Pi-Star System
VE1JCS

pi-star 4.1.4

Post by VE1JCS »

Ok so here we GO,
Messages on all my dashboards from my repeaters to my hot spots, "UPDATES AVAILABLE with link to download 4.1.4"
Also big NOTICE: "Alert: You are running a hotspot in public mode without an access list for DMR, this setup *could* participate in network loops!"

Ok fine so I decided to start the updates on all my equipment only to find after updating I still get the Message: Alert: You are running a hotspot in public mode without an access list for DMR, this setup *could* participate in network loops! still showing up on my dashboard in the configuration page, so I guess the update did nothing to resolve this? Or am I missing something?
I have been looking around and searching to see if there is some sort of information on what to do next to resolve this so called issue but could not find any information on what to do next. Can some one point me to the information I need to comply with this update to resolve any loop back on DMR as clearly there is no information or instructions that I could see on the web page.

Thank You

James
VE1JCS

Re: pi-star 4.1.4

Post by VE1JCS »

Yes, I did just that I downloaded the 4.1.4 and re imaged 2 of my hot spots and 1 repeater so far and I still get the message " Alert: You are running a hotspot in public mode without an access list for DMR, this setup *could* participate in network loops! " when I go to the configurations page.
Is there something else that need to be done in order to comply?
Dose the new image not have this list built into it?
Am I supposed to download it somewhere and add it some how?
These are all questions that are not answered, usually a new firmware update has in it a read me file or some sort of explanation on what to do but this new version comes as is without any details as what to do to comply with the warning message.. Or am I missing something? :?
M1DNS
Pi-Star Team

Post by M1DNS »

Its to make you aware ur running public. This is the most case reason why networks are suffering from loops. Open hotspots pickup up other transmissions near by.
Its intended as a be mindful message.

If its just you (run as private) or you and a couple people in ur household using the install run private and add their ID's in the access list.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Andrew M1DNS.
Pi-star Admin Team.
VE1JCS

Post by VE1JCS »

Can you please elaborate on the install run private ,to add call signs?
where do I go to do this, is it in an SSH window as I see no mention of it on the configuration page or in the expert mode.

Thank You

James
G8SEZ

Post by G8SEZ »

Public/private is in the Configuration->General Configuration section.
--

Brian G8SEZ
VE1JCS

Post by VE1JCS »

:?
VE1JCS

Post by VE1JCS »

OK final try, I will ask again one more time.

How do I add call signs if I want to run more than one call sign in private mode?

It is not in the Configuration Tab, Only thing there is the tab to enable either Public or Private mode.

Thank You

James
M1DNS
Pi-Star Team

Post by M1DNS »

Set it to public, then below you'll see the
DMR access list. If you add no entries (leave the box empty) when running as a repeater or gateway, it'll pass everyone it hears.

Add the ID's of who you want to pass (ie family members) as comma seperated entries in the box below the private / public check buttons.

The private setting will always limit you to just the ID entered in the main config setup and ignore all other ID's.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Andrew M1DNS.
Pi-star Admin Team.
VE1JCS

Post by VE1JCS »

:D :D :D :D

Thank You,
Now that makes sence.

James :lol: :lol:
KD4DDK

Post by KD4DDK »

KE7FNS wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 9:23 pm
VE1JCS wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 9:04 pm It is not in the Configuration Tab, Only thing there is the tab to enable either Public or Private mode.
Set it to public and just click apply changes on the configuration page, and then when it refreshes, the option should magically be there.

Then you'll have to enter the DMR ID's separated by a single comma and no spaces and click apply changes again.

I agree, it is more difficult than it should be, apparently configuration changes and new features to the dashboard are only applied when you click apply changes and it is never mentioned anywhere that you need to do it.
This should be a sticky.