KEEPING NON REGISTERED USERS FROM GAINING ACCESS

General support for the Pi-Star System
n2xpm

KEEPING NON REGISTERED USERS FROM GAINING ACCESS

Post by n2xpm »

Hello all:

I am running a Pi-Star Ver 3 Model B as a controller to my Kenwood TKR-850 ver 2 repeater. D-Star works very well. In NYC/Long Island area, we have people unlicensed and/or unregistered accessing the gateway through use of the repeater. Can I place commands or limit the ability of these people access. Is there a way to list users by call sign access and keep others out.

Thanks in advance!

Artie
n2xpm
M1DNS
Pi-Star Team

Re: KEEPING NON REGISTERED USERS FROM GAINING ACCESS

Post by M1DNS »

We didnt create it to cater to blacklisting users. In the uk, pistar home, it is against the repeater, gateway regs to run a close system. If you put something up hete, you have to make it available to all hams who have the license to use it.

I know this is mostly a us of a thing, and to me defeats the whole purpose in the ethos behind putting something up for others to us, but luckily I'm not in the USA.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Andrew M1DNS.
Pi-star Admin Team.
n2xpm

Post by n2xpm »

The purpose is soley to stop unlicenced users with bogus calls and radios access to the gateway.
G8SEZ

Post by G8SEZ »

There have always been pirates.
--

Brian G8SEZ
M1DNS
Pi-Star Team

Post by M1DNS »

Report them to ur regulator, have them deal with it. This problem is age old.

Andrew M1DNS.
Pi-star Admin Team.
n2xpm

Post by n2xpm »

The Federal Communications Commission doesn't have the complement of Field Engineers to venture out to find and record abusers. The Ham Community has to gather recordings and locations.

Unless the offenders are jamming Public Safety, no action is taken to resolve the matter.

The chinese radios have impacted ones ability to operate anywhere without a license and up to recently, D-star/DMR radios.

We have non-licensed users with bogus calls registering to get a d Star number to access gateways.

Understanding the concept that D Star is an open platform, a whitelist concept would be useful in dealing with this problem here in the USA.

Gentlemen, IT IS NOT A PERFECT RADIO WORLD!

Artie
n2xpm
n2xpm

Post by n2xpm »

NO ARGUMENT HERE, JUST A DISCUSSION.... YOUR REMARKS ARE LESS THAN DISCERNING AND HAVE NO BEARING...
M1DNS
Pi-Star Team

Post by M1DNS »

If you block access in pistar your only curing 1/2 your problem.

Yeah, block him tx'ing through the install and getting on the network, but you wont stop him keying over top you. If they're closer to the repeater than you, or running more pwr hes going knock your signal out.

Unfortunatly the cure for stupid, is always the fardest to find.

Andrew M1DNS.
Pi-star Admin Team.