Issues with 4.1.4:-(

General support for the Pi-Star System
g8nsz

Issues with 4.1.4:-(

Post by g8nsz »

Hi All,

Since downloading and installing 4.1.4, which I could only get with a clean install as the Update tab only got me to 4.1.2 (I think) I am having issues with my two systems. The faults may well be associated with "Clone" Pi-Hats and the age of the DVAP I have. However, I am getting the following:

As reported elsewhere, the OLED will not work when I try to use a mobile wifi (MiFi or phone) on one of my systems but works on home WiFi :o
Both the Hat and the DVAP will not get past boot and an initial "burst" of "Connected to" and then the DVAP or 'Hat' are "kicked off". Pi-star appears still to be running. Occasionally, it boots correctly, but not often. It appears to happen just as it connects up to, either, the wifi or to the server.

The DVAP is on a Model B Rev 2.0 (512MB) Pi and the 'Hat' is on a Pi Zero W Rev 1.1 (512MB). Neither have missed a beat until I changed up the software; the DVAP in particular has been running on this Pi for years. The Dashboard is 20210305.

Any thoughts anyone? Is anyone else seeing issues or is it just me?

Thanks.

Mike - G8NSZ

**UPDATE**

I've just run Update on pi-star and now the OLED doesn't work at all :x I have turned OLED off and on and rebooted in between, including full power off.
WG4USA

Re: Issues with 4.1.4:-(

Post by WG4USA »

are you sure you have the line set to something like;

MMDVM Display Type: oled type3 Port: /dev/ttyAMA0 Nextion Layout: G$KLX

My display only shows info when transmitting & receiving
g8nsz

Post by g8nsz »

Thanks and yes, except I have the screen saver on (in Expert Settings) so it scrolls across until it detects a signal and then displays the info you get. It seems to be very intermittent. Sometimes it comes on and sometimes it doesn't. I've taken the lid off and checked my soldering but all seems ok and it's been working fine for nearly 2 years:-(

Mike
N7HHI

Post by N7HHI »

g8nsz wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 5:47 pm Hi All,

Since downloading and installing 4.1.4, which I could only get with a clean install as the Update tab only got me to 4.1.2 (I think)
This reply is not in response to the issue you are experiencing, but rather to the update/upgrade issue.
The update procedure does not increase the Pi-Star version number. It does increase the Dashboard version.

If you are currently at version 4.1.x and you want to get to version 4.1.4 you perform the following steps:

update
upgrade (note: may have to be repeated multiple times)

i.e. If you are at v4.1.2 you would enter the following to get to v4.1.4:

update
upgrade
upgrade

The first upgrade get's you to v4.1.3 and the second one get's you to v4.1.4

Note: If you are at a version less than 4.1.0, then you would have to do a fresh install to get to 4.1.x.
Scott - N7HHI
g8nsz

Post by g8nsz »

Thanks Scott. I must have forgotten how I updated the software previously. I carried out a 'clean' install of 4.1.4 from the pi-star download site this time. Interestingly, the two systems now seem to have stabilised over the last two days. The OLED has started working again; the systems 'boot' each time without any issues. However, I am not getting the 'beacon' (G8NSZ Bravo) even though it appears to be set to on. Maybe that will appear again :)

Mike