Dashboard display static/dynamic TG ???

General support for the Pi-Star System
KA2UGZ

Dashboard display static/dynamic TG ???

Post by KA2UGZ »

I remember seeing the static and dynamic TGs displayed just below the CPU temperature on the pistar dashboard. I think I needed to have logged in to the Admin functions. I saw this displayed last week and today can't seem to find it or a way of turning it on/off.

I was troubleshooting TG 4000 seemingly not performing the disconnection when I noticed these static and dynamic fields are gone now.

I performed an update to see if that helped, still not seeing the connected TG on the pistar dashboard. I have Pi-Star4.1.4 and Kernel 5.10.11+
YL3IM

Re: Dashboard display static/dynamic TG ???

Post by YL3IM »

Hi!

1. Generate an API key in BrandMeister: https://brandmeister.network/?page=profile-api
2. Put that key in your Pi-Star configuration at /admin/expert/fulledit_bmapikey.php
3. Then in the /admin page you'll get some managing options like https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-8fkIof5r49k/ ... ture17.PNG
G7OMN

Post by G7OMN »

I'm possibly seeing the same issue here.
BM has a hotspot password set, and the password and API keys loaded in Pi-Star. This is confirmed by the subscription to the static talk groups

Using the reference image from this thread (and a number of Youtube videos), this is what I was expecting to see (aside from the different TG's and BM server):

However... My Drop QSO buttons and Drop dynamic buttons are below the static talkgroup config:
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (13.97 KiB) Viewed 4038 times
I don't see the option to set up dynamic TG's from Active reflector drop down on the Admin page as per this image. Have i missed a config item, or has the dashboard been updated or have misunderstood what should be shown?
Current version is 4.1.4. with dashboard 20210424 and kernal 5.10.17-v7+
Jon
G7OMN
AF6VN

Post by AF6VN »

G7OMN wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 2:25 pm I don't see the option to set up dynamic TG's from Active reflector drop down on the Admin page as per this image. Have i missed a config item, or has the dashboard been updated or have misunderstood what should be shown?
Current version is 4.1.4. with dashboard 20210424 and kernal 5.10.17-v7+
Can't help with the different layouts -- my system looks like yours...

As for dynamic groups -- you "set up" a dynamic talk group by... PTT the radio on a channel configured for the desired talk group. Unless things have changed at Brandmeister, the last accessed dynamic group becomes pseudo-static (it stays active even after all other recent dynamics have timed out).

--
AF6VN
Dennis L Bieber
G7OMN

Post by G7OMN »

The various postings I read and videos I watched, i interpreted that in the expected layout, that you could add dynamic talkgroups from the dropdown menu, as well as drop either the active group or all of them from the buttons..
This is also shown in the wiki on this page: http://wiki.pistar.uk/PI-Star_integrati ... eister_API

I wonder if perhaps this functionality has gone with BM's removal of access to reflectors and i have got the wrong end of the stick, as the function doesn't exist in self care either - and Pi-star is just replicating that?
Jon
G7OMN
AF6VN

Post by AF6VN »

Nothing on that page shows any feature to add dynamic groups -- reflectors are not talk groups, as I recall, one had to activate reflectors using a private call to the reflector number, and then switch to a specific talk group (TG 9?) in order to actually use the reflector. That behavior reflected (no pun intended) the usage of repeaters in the UK and maybe elsewhere (in my experience, most US repeaters always used dynamic linking of actual talk groups, and since every reflector had a corresponding talk group, there was no reason to use reflectors and the fiddling of channels between private-call to activate and single TG for usage).

Drop QSO/Drop dynamic has never really shown me much use -- I don't even know how it determines a QSO! Just the current user ID? That would mean any other user the keys up would still come through; even the same user if they release PTT for a few seconds.

It has always just allowed for adding/removing STATIC groups. Even that hasn't shown me much use as the normal dynamic group I listen to is so busy BM never gets to shove an alternate TG out the link -- BM implements a lock-out on switching groups that is something like 5-10 minutes from last QSO on the group. I'd much prefer it if they didn't have that lock-out, meaning any traffic on a static or dynamic (that hasn't timed out from inactivity) was passed to my radio.

--
AF6VN
Dennis L Bieber
EA3BIL

Post by EA3BIL »

As far as per my experience...

SIMPLEX HS do keep connection "alive" to Dynamic TGs (even the go away from Admin view 'cause timeout or power cycled HS).

If you think this is happening, and you want to spend some time investigating it... You can go to Selfacer at BM Dashboard webpage and see those TGs shoowing as STATIC... So, you NEED to key 4000 from your radio into your HS to get rid of them (BM Selfcare doesn't allow to remove them and it shows a popup message when mouse over them telling they are AUTOSTACTIC and 4000 is needed on your HS).

This scenario does NOT show on DUPLEX HS.... Why?... Good question.
Dynamic TGs go way when they timeout, they go away from Admin view on Pi-Star and you no longer receive them (after the current talker stops TX when Timeout happens, if any...)

I hope this helps to clarify the "Misterious way" BM deals with AutoStatic.

NOTE:
I've never got a clear explanation on why this does this way.

Edit to add NOTE 2:
BM stopped using REFLECTORS about March 2020, so you don't need to spend time thinking about them at this network.
73'Rafael.
EA3BIL
JN11an