Pi-Star Dashboard Remote Publish

General support for the Pi-Star System
KZ4FOX

Pi-Star Dashboard Remote Publish

Post by KZ4FOX »

I was curious if anyone knew of a secure way to publish the contents of the Pi-Star dashboard to a website. The reason I ask is I run a mix-multimode UHF repeater & since I am running all 5 modes it would be nice if local users could go to the repeater's website and see what current mode the repeater is in and see the last heard etc. However, the PiStar dashboard does *NOT* use SSL at all & while one could just port forward it though I firewall I find that to be a huge security risk. Is there a way to enable SSL and or is there a remote API publish available? Or, has someone else doing a similar setup (since Im not the only one lol) to all for users to see status? Thanks & 73s.

Mark
KZ4FOX
YL3IM

Re: Pi-Star Dashboard Remote Publish

Post by YL3IM »

If you need SSL, you can edit the respective nginx settings within OS itself, put there your certificates etc.
Unless you don't log in to the admin panel from outside, I think it's quite ok to expose the dashboard with port forwarding.
W0CHP

Post by W0CHP »

Couple of options:

You can front-end proxy the dashboard with an ssl-enabled web server. Did this for a ham club. I placed a web server in a DMZ, and it proxies the dashboard on the backend in a separate Vlan.
No changes needed for pi-star, which is recommended since upgrades can and will affect pistar’s nginx implementation. Let the proxy server handle the ssl.

Secondly:

There is a last-heard api <your dash URL/api/last_heard.php> which returns recent activity in JSON.

Source: https://github.com/AndyTaylorTweet/Pi-S ... _heard.php

I leveraged this very api for another ham club, and they publish/integrate the last heard status on their club’s webpage.
KZ4FOX

Post by KZ4FOX »

Thanks guys I will check out those options :)
K6JM

Post by K6JM »

Do you know of a demo or example web page (written in PHP or similar) that makes use of this last heard API? My club will be standing up a mutli-mode repeater and would like outside access to Dashboard data using an SSL-protected page. Not sure I could use the API from scratch, but I could probably tweak a demo program....

Jim - K6JM
W0CHP wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 11:05 am ...

There is a last-heard api <your dash URL/api/last_heard.php> which returns recent activity in JSON.

Source: https://github.com/AndyTaylorTweet/Pi-S ... _heard.php

I leveraged this very api for another ham club, and they publish/integrate the last heard status on their club’s webpage.