What upgrade to select when automatically prompted?

General support for the Pi-Star System
IW5DWP

What upgrade to select when automatically prompted?

Post by IW5DWP »

Hi,

Just a quick question: my MMDVM pi-star is prompting me to upgrade to a new pi-star version but I don’t know what to select as my Kernel (4.19.97+) looks newer than anything available on Pi-Star download page... any help please?

Many thanks.
G8SEZ

Re: What upgrade to select when automatically prompted?

Post by G8SEZ »

The kernel version is not the Pi-Star version, you will find that at the top right corner of the dashboard.

Note that if you are running v3.4.17 that an update to 4.1.4 requires a new image to be flashed, you can migrate settings by making a backup and then placing the backup zip file in the root of the new card.
--

Brian G8SEZ
IW5DWP

Post by IW5DWP »

Thank you very much.
It is showing: Pi-Star:4.1.3.

These are the one shown on the download web site:
Pi-Star_NanoPi_Air_V3.4.17_09-Jan-2019.zip
Pi-Star_NanoPi_V3.4.17_09-Jan-2019.zip
Pi-Star_Odroid_XU4_V3.4.17_09-Jan-2019.zip
Pi-Star_OrangePi_Zero_V3.4.17_09-Jan-2019.zip
Pi-Star_RPi_V4.1.4_08-Feb-2021.zip.

The only one available is the last one, however I think my hotspot has a RaspBerry zero. Can I flash on it the last one? Is that the correct procedure?
G8SEZ

Post by G8SEZ »

If you have 4.1.3 then you need to ssh in using the Configuration->Expert->SSH Access menu link.

Once logged in you type

sudo pistar-update

once that has completed (it may take some time as it updates the OS as well as the Pi-Star files) type

sudo pistar-upgrade

and then you should reboot.
--

Brian G8SEZ
AF6VN

Post by AF6VN »

IW5DWP wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:43 am
Pi-Star_RPi_V4.1.4_08-Feb-2021.zip.

The only one available is the last one, however I think my hotspot has a RaspBerry zero. Can I flash on it the last one? Is that the correct procedure?
ALL Raspberry Pi (RPi) models use the same OS package (there are files on the install specific to each model, but those are selected during the boot phase).
G8SEZ wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:33 pm
sudo pistar-update

sudo pistar-upgrade
Be advised, you /may/ need to run the latter a few times until it says there are no upgrades -- the dashboard changes tend to upgrade incrementally, not in a single leap. OTOH, as you were running a 4.x it may have upgraded automatically if left on overnight.

--
AF6VN
Dennis L Bieber
G8SEZ

Post by G8SEZ »

AF6VN wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:52 pm
G8SEZ wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:33 pm
sudo pistar-update

sudo pistar-upgrade
Be advised, you /may/ need to run the latter a few times until it says there are no upgrades -- the dashboard changes tend to upgrade incrementally, not in a single leap. OTOH, as you were running a 4.x it may have upgraded automatically if left on overnight.
This can be true, but for a step from 4.1.3 -> 4.1.4 then after the update phase is complete the upgrade phase is only required once.

It is worth noting that sometimes the update phase doesn't fully update the underlying OS, at which point do the following from an ssh session command prompt:

and possibly then reboot if rpi-ro tells you that the / mount point is busy.

This should deal with packages that replace others or need new additions or removals.
--

Brian G8SEZ
IW5DWP

Post by IW5DWP »

Thanks everybody for your support!
I will do it shortly.

May I ask what is the difference between the ops done via SSH interface and with respect to the Update and Upgrade done by selecting "Update" and "Upgrade" in the top pi-star screen between Admin and Backup/Restore?
G8SEZ

Post by G8SEZ »

IW5DWP wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 1:38 pm Thanks everybody for your support!
I will do it shortly.

May I ask what is the difference between the ops done via SSH interface and with respect to the Update and Upgrade done by selecting "Update" and "Upgrade" in the top pi-star screen between Admin and Backup/Restore?
Yes, the difference is that the OS updates are not done unless you are in a terminal via ssh.
--

Brian G8SEZ
G8SEZ

Post by G8SEZ »

KE7FNS wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 12:28 am
G8SEZ wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 6:19 pm It is worth noting that sometimes the update phase doesn't fully update the underlying OS
It isn't supposed to. The reason "apt-get upgrade" doesn't remove packages is because it is designed to be completely safe and not break things.

The average user should not be running "apt-get full-upgrade" unless they know what they are doing, and how to repair the OS should a dependency be broken during the process.
From what I have read the use of apt full-upgrade is what RaspiOS expects to be used now, although I will confess that I don't know if Pi-Star has anything that would preclude it. In my experience with Pi-Star over the last few months everything has been just fine and all of the dependency stuff is handled by the underlying dpkg code, it installs needed packages as apt-get dist-upgrade used to. Whether it automates the autoremove step for packages that are not needed any more I am unsure.
--

Brian G8SEZ
G8SEZ

Post by G8SEZ »

KE7FNS wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 6:52 pm
G8SEZ wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 4:10 pm Yes, the difference is that the OS updates are not done unless you are in a terminal via ssh.
Not exactly. OS updates are handled by the unattended-upgrades service.

https://wiki.debian.org/UnattendedUpgrades
Yes, although experience with that suggests that there are very few non-security related updates that come in via that route.
G8SEZ wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 4:15 pm From what I have read the use of apt full-upgrade is what RaspiOS expects to be used now, although I will confess that I don't know if Pi-Star has anything that would preclude it. In my experience with Pi-Star over the last few months everything has been just fine and all of the dependency stuff is handled by the underlying dpkg code, it installs needed packages as apt-get dist-upgrade used to. Whether it automates the autoremove step for packages that are not needed any more I am unsure.

"apt-get upgrade" does not install new packages, it does not remove packages, it only updates already installed packages. SAFE

"apt upgrade" installs new packages, it does not remove packages, and it updates already installed packages.

"apt full-upgrade" is the same as "apt-get dist-upgrade". It installs new packages, removes packages, and updates already installed packages.

Again, removal of packages can cause dependency issues and break installations.
While I agree that this is possible, I've been using both the old and new versions of the command for a considerable time now and I have not had any OS-related problems due to either of them. The reason I started to use them is that I did have a problem when I installed a missing but needed package using dpkg and something did go wrong. As a long-term RedHat user I have always been less knowledgeable about Debian-based Linux and learnt a lesson from that occasion.
--

Brian G8SEZ