Where is R1 please on MMDVM board

General support for the Pi-Star System
G4SJP

Where is R1 please on MMDVM board

Post by G4SJP »

The (extremely poor!) instructions that came with the STM32_MMDVM_HS HAT say to remove R1 when it is to be used with the pi 4b. I cannot see it and googling only brings up copies of the instruction sheet.

I'd be grateful for any advice please.

Thanks

Stephen G4SJP
G4SJP

Re: Where is R1 please on MMDVM board

Post by G4SJP »

Reading again, I think that they are referring to the installation of the OLED to the MMDVM? Not 100% sure. Mine has the display already fitted. The problem with the instructions is that they expect beginners to know what HAT, i2c etc. mean!

Thanks for reading, I promise I'll be quiet when I have this thing working!

73 Stephen G4SJP
G8SEZ

Post by G8SEZ »

If you can provide some photos of what you have it will be easier to help you out.

Also be advised that using the modem setting for the STM32_MMDVM_HS HAT might cause you problems as there is a bug in there somewhere, you probably ought to use the straight MMDVM_HS_HAT for RPi modem until this gets resolved. I've always found that this stops the modem from initialising if you follow the instruction sheet.

Is the HAT a dual or single board? If it's dual then the R1 comment makes more sense, although it probably ought to mean J1 or Jumper 1.

HTH.
--

Brian G8SEZ
G4SJP

Post by G4SJP »

Thanks all!

As you might see from the other thread I started, I'm beginning to think that I'd be better off with a zero. It fits the hardware which came with the MMDVM and is not an expensive option!

I didn't buy the Pi 4b for this application anyway, it was just a solution looking for a problem and I thought it would be fun!

I would prefer not to remove the OLED with a plated-through-hole board. I have worked on these types of boards many a time, but not when they belonged to me!

KE7FNS- your reply resonates with me, for the price of cheap bottle of wine, I think I will get myself a zero and save myself a whole load of hassle!

G8SEZ - I appreciate your comments. However, I am not at all sure what you mean by the STM32 v the other modem you mention. I really haven't kept up with the technology since the early days of packet in the early 80's unfortunately!

Most grateful for the advice,

73 Stephen