A bit broken since today's update.

General support for the Pi-Star System
W3KIT

Re: A bit broken since today's update.

Post by W3KIT »

HB9GFX wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 11:08 am I just tried the broken DStar Spot in DMR
It works perfect . DMR Light stays green.

As soon as I switch back to DSTar, it turns green and after a minute it turns back red and DSTar is completely not working
2 D-Star hotspots Modes Enabled have gone RED after few min since this morning. Made a new fresh image, still the same problem. Going to make another new image but will not running an update and see.

Have 9 hotspots running, other modes / hotspots are fine - only two D-Star hotspot are broken.

73, Kit
MW0MWZ
Site Admin

Post by MW0MWZ »

I've finally managed to replicate the issue; now I can see it that helps me a lot.

Process bails out (SEGFAULT) after approx 60 secs of run time...
Working on that at the moment, it will be fixed with an update binary as soon as I get it working here...
Andy

73 de MW0MWZ
http://pistar.uk
MW0MWZ
Site Admin

Post by MW0MWZ »

New MMDVMHost binary released, that should clean up the D-Star issues.
Andy

73 de MW0MWZ
HB9GFX

Post by HB9GFX »

first Spot updated. Seems to work.
Can you tell us what was wrong Andy?
RC3C

Post by RC3C »

MW0MWZ wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 8:29 am Those of you having issues with the DMRGateway - what DMRGateway version are you using - if its not the one I provide and you run your own version, you may have issues - Jonathan made some changes and the versions of MMDVMHost and DMRGateway need to have the same features in them.

So if you run some other 3rd party version of DMRGateway, please don't complain here.

If you are seeing the issue on the Pi-Star binaries - please let me have the output from:

Code: Select all

MMDVMHost -v
and

DMRGateway -v

Looking into the DMR+D-Star issue now...
I have here:

root@rc3c-pistar(rw):log# MMDVMHost -v
MMDVMHost version 20210604_Pi-Star_v4 git #9106fd6
root@rc3c-pistar(rw):log# DMRGateway  -v
DMRGateway version 20210426_Pi-Star_v4 git #03bcdbc
root@rc3c-pistar(rw):log#
73! Anton aka Tony
EL #2102, EL #53698, DMR #2503041, XLX937-B
Clubs: RC5C, RY3AAL, NMDXC

AE5PL

Post by AE5PL »

MW0MWZ wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 12:22 pm New MMDVMHost binary released, that should clean up the D-Star issues.
Just updated and it appears fixed. Thanks!
MW0MWZ
Site Admin

Post by MW0MWZ »

HB9GFX wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 12:37 pm first Spot updated. Seems to work.
Can you tell us what was wrong Andy?
This is a story that goes back a little way, but bear with me...

First I wanted to create an automated system that will watch for upstream changes, and produce the new binaries automatically every time there is an update upstream - this has been working well for a few months, enabling me to easily test updates.
During the process of building this system, a few things have happened - firstly the build process is now fully repeatable, it takes all the guesswork and assumption out of it and I know that with a few keyboard clicks I can re-create the binary again (and again if needed). I've been testing with the outputted bins here on and off for a while and I was happy with them - but it seems there were a few holes in the way I test them... This is mostly because testing them is complex, at least to test them fully is complex - its easy to miss some scenarios. The latest issue with D-Star is a fine example, *my* D-Star hotspot was not affected, and I don't know why that is.

In addition to all of that new process, I'm always looking for ways to reduce the size of the downloaded image, since I get to pay for the bandwidth that each download of Pi-Star takes up, with that in mind I have been testing smaller binaries - these are compiled slightly differently with a specific size optimisation flag, and then stripped - this can make the output a great deal smaller and I would have said pretty much never causes an issue (until today).

So what went wrong - my test bench just didn't exhibit the problem you have seen on your systems, AND I was pushing the envelope in trying to make MMDVMHost very small, this could be impacted by the fact there are still people running the Pi-Star 4.0 release candidate that never made it to a full release, and so my build system has to use an older version of Raspbian to support those guys, size optimisation might be possible again when that isnt the case.

Hope that answers your questions, and if not, well feel free to ask me some more :)
Andy

73 de MW0MWZ
HB9GFX

Post by HB9GFX »

Hi Andy,

Thanks for the description.

Please let me know if I can do anything for you in hosting the PiStar images or updates.

contact me via my mail adress on xlx-owl.de or xlx508.hb9gfx.ch

We can discuss a solution or I can deliver space and traffic.

73 de Stefan
g0hww

Post by g0hww »

Latest update is looking promising, with DMR and D-STAR seemingly working OK.
Thanks for the quick fix.
RC3C

Post by RC3C »

g0hww wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 12:56 pm Latest update is looking promising, with DMR and D-STAR seemingly working OK.
Thanks for the quick fix.
Same is here.
MNI TNX
73! Anton aka Tony
EL #2102, EL #53698, DMR #2503041, XLX937-B
Clubs: RC5C, RY3AAL, NMDXC