A bit broken since today's update.

General support for the Pi-Star System
MW0MWZ
Site Admin

Re: A bit broken since today's update.

Post by MW0MWZ »

HB9GFX wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 12:55 pm Hi Andy,

We can discuss a solution or I can deliver space and traffic.

73 de Stefan
Thank you - I very much appreciate that, so far I am doing OK, just explaining why I was trying to reduce the bin size :)
For some idea of how much we serve - the last 30 days we pushed 8TB from the update server, that does not include all the traffic that GitHub takes :)
Andy

73 de MW0MWZ
http://pistar.uk
VU3BOJ

Post by VU3BOJ »

My first post here. I registered just today morning to report this, as I tried all tricks that were available online and none of them worked. This is what I had kept ready to post as soon as my account was activated. I was about to post it and then I saw this thread!
I am using a Pi-zero/MMDVM hostspot and things were working very well with DMR Gateway (BM, TGIF, XLX).

Coming to the issue. Overnight, I could not hear any activity on the radio and when I looked at the dashboard, i saw the XLX network missing (on the left side margin). I could not get the XLX working even after disabling/enabling in the DMR configuration - it just does not comes up. Then I realized that my hotspot is offline in BM and TGIF, though both these are displayed on the dashboard. I tried multiple reboots, changed ISP (to 4G network), still no luck. The pi-star updtate works and I am able to ping google.com from the hostpost ssh console.

Is there anything else I can try to get the connection working?
PS. Everything works fine if I choose a direct BM master. So looks like a DMRGateway issue.
I updated the pi-star just now and DMR Gateway is back in action. Thanks Andy for the quick fix.
Anytone D878UV | TYT MD-380 | Simplex MMDVM_HS + Pi Zero W
MW0MWZ
Site Admin

Post by MW0MWZ »

VU3BOJ wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 1:26 pm My first post here. I registered just today morning to report this, as I tried all tricks that were available online and none of them worked. This is what I had kept ready to post as soon as my account was activated. I was about to post it and then I saw this thread!
Welcome to the board....
VU3BOJ wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 1:26 pm
I am using a Pi-zero/MMDVM hostspot and things were working very well with DMR Gateway (BM, TGIF, XLX).

Coming to the issue. Overnight, I could not hear any activity on the radio and when I looked at the dashboard, i saw the XLX network missing (on the left side margin). I could not get the XLX working even after disabling/enabling in the DMR configuration - it just does not comes up. Then I realized that my hotspot is offline in BM and TGIF, though both these are displayed on the dashboard. I tried multiple reboots, changed ISP (to 4G network), still no luck. The pi-star updtate works and I am able to ping google.com from the hostpost ssh console.

Is there anything else I can try to get the connection working?
PS. Everything works fine if I choose a direct BM master. So looks like a DMRGateway issue.
I updated the pi-star just now and DMR Gateway is back in action. Thanks Andy for the quick fix.
No problem...
Andy

73 de MW0MWZ
http://pistar.uk
G8SEZ

Post by G8SEZ »

MW0MWZ wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 12:49 pm there are still people running the Pi-Star 4.0 release candidate that never made it to a full release, and so my build system has to use an older version of Raspbian to support those guys
Out of interest Andy, do these people have a justifiable reason for staying on such an old unreleased version? Seems like some gentle shepherding towards the door marked 4.1.4 is in order if they're just being slow.
--

Brian G8SEZ
G8SEZ

Post by G8SEZ »

KE7FNS wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 4:44 pm
G8SEZ wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 4:11 pm Out of interest Andy, do these people have a justifiable reason for staying on such an old unreleased version? Seems like some gentle shepherding towards the door marked 4.1.4 is in order if they're just being slow.
Part of the blame is the pandemic and the various lockdowns people encountered, and another big part is repeater site access. In winter many mountain top repeater sites are inaccessible so hopefully now that its summer in the northern hemisphere mountain top repeaters sites still running 4.0 will be able to be updated to 4.1.
A fair point, it's sometimes difficult to visualise all of the possible locations where Pi-Stars are in use and as you say the last 18 months has been unusual.

It's actually a great example of how well the system works in general that such locations are viable.

Hats off to everyone that makes it all work.
--

Brian G8SEZ
VK2HL

Post by VK2HL »

All good again here! Thank you very much. I have been running a few hotspots here for quite a while as repeaters are a bit thin on the ground. Pi-Star has been a godsend and is very very reliable. I have a hotspot in my 4WD when we go touring and it connects to a 4G modem, so we have DSTAR coverage wherever there is phone coverage. As an added benefit, when linked to a reflector or a repeater while travelling, the radio announces "linked to .... ) whenever we're back in phone coverage. The APRS interface also works great. Thanks again to all the team making it possible.
m0guy

Post by m0guy »

VK2HL wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 8:33 pm All good again here! Thank you very much. I have been running a few hotspots here for quite a while as repeaters are a bit thin on the ground. Pi-Star has been a godsend and is very very reliable. I have a hotspot in my 4WD when we go touring and it connects to a 4G modem, so we have DSTAR coverage wherever there is phone coverage. As an added benefit, when linked to a reflector or a repeater while travelling, the radio announces "linked to .... ) whenever we're back in phone coverage. The APRS interface also works great. Thanks again to all the team making it possible.
Yes I must also add myself here.. Andy Great work please keep going... We all have started taking pi-star for granted now it's great, useful and stable.

And really big thanks for jumping on resolving this so quickly once it was identified.

--Guy
-----------------------------
DMR Help: https://help.m0guy.com
Personal web: https://m0guy.com