Configuration Update appears to be stuck?

General support for the Pi-Star System
G6WOV

Configuration Update appears to be stuck?

Post by G6WOV »

Just been trying to set up my new Pi-Star and clicked on Update on the Dashboard.
It now says "Update Running" on the Banner and "Starting update, please wait..." in the Command Line Window. Been there for over 5 minutes with no change.
Perhaps it didn't need an update as it was a new Image of V4.1.4 installed in a new Board and new Pi.
How long would this usually take before it does something, or says something like "All up to date"?
Can I click away from this page, or Shutdown Pi-Star, or just Power it Off and Reset it?
Or burn a new SD Card and start again?

I'm at the bottom of a steep learning curve for someone extremely new here.
G8SEZ

Re: Configuration Update appears to be stuck?

Post by G8SEZ »

The Pi-Star image for 4.1.4 is from February, there have been quite a few updates since then including changes as recent as today.

How did you perform the update? It's probably best to use SSH access from the configuration->expert menu, then login with the normal user and password and type pistar-update and then when that has finished just pistar-upgrade.

The update should be pretty rapid, I would say it might be better starting over and using my suggestion.
--

Brian G8SEZ
CT2HRB

Post by CT2HRB »

G6WOV: This is "normal", the dashboard update page relies on a jquery plugin (javascript) to fetch the output of the update script, the issue is that this script was being included directly from a github url, however due to some changes on github the old url isn't valid anymore, then you can't see the output of the update script at all on the update page... anyway you should not worry about it as update did run normally, you just can't see output. If you click update again on dashboard it will now work normally as Andy did already fix the issue on updates (now the plugin script is included on pi-star itself), it is just not fixed on the last image yet. Also don't worry about clicking on update again, if you eventually clicked it with update still running you would just see a message saying that another instance of update script is already running, no harm.
Last edited by CT2HRB on Tue Jun 08, 2021 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CT2HRB

Post by CT2HRB »

KE7FNS: Yes... but update page needs jquery-timing.min.js to fetch it, Andy changed it to locally hosted copy here:
https://github.com/AndyTaylorTweet/Pi-S ... ae7572f520
13/Feb, and last image is earlier than that... then still trying to use it remotely from guthub url:
http://creativecouple.github.com/jquery ... ing.min.js
that doesn't work anymore, then 1st time you use update page with fresh image you will see no output at all :(
CT2HRB

Post by CT2HRB »

KE7FNS: He should know it, as he fixed it ;) Just didn't release new image yet... anyway not critical as update really runs, just no output on the 1st update with fresh image.
MW0MWZ
Site Admin

Post by MW0MWZ »

Thanks for the reminder guys, the new image was already built - been holding it for a few days just in case, but I've posted it - please test that and give me feedback.
Andy

73 de MW0MWZ
http://pistar.uk
G6WOV

Post by G6WOV »

Thank you all for your replies, some of it I think I understand? (Steep learning curve!) I thought this might be a good way to return to Amauteur Radio after nearly 30 years absence, with retirement looming very soon. Plus also my youngest son ihas become intrigued about Amateur Radio, so it seems that we are learning together.

After about 30 minutes of no change with the Hotspot I clicked back to the Main Menu, then clicking back to Update just returned me to the same point. So I decided to try the Shutdown option, which it went to ok saying that the Shutdown had been sent to the Pi but to wait 30 seconds before removing the Power, but 10 minutes later it was still on. I have powered it down and we hope to have another go at it tomorrow. If we do have to reimage the SD Card and start from scratch then not to worry as we are learning together. I just hope that I have not caused you all any inconvenience. But if you try to build a fool proof system, some uninitiated person will come along and.... I try to follow the instructions, and my son consults YouTube, but it's fun working together on a project. So every mistake is all part of learning for both of us.

I have a Pi 4 4GB (which my son has already offered to swap his Pi 3 for!), and a Duplex Pi Hat V1.3 (I should have perhaps got a Single Board but I was thinking way too far ahead of myself) We were trying to set it up as a DMR Hotspot for a 70cms Radio (Retirement present that I don't have yet) and my old FT290 (that I now know is not compatible).

I can keep you posted with how we get along if you'd like, as we might have become Beta Testers for how to do it the hard way!
G6WOV

Post by G6WOV »

Good news! I thought that I'd start trying to update it again during lunch break, so that it had time to accumulate everything before my son and I resume this evening. But the Commands whizzed up the screen and it was finished in about a minute.

I had already downloaded the latest Image ready to burn the SD Card with, so that was ready too, but will continue on with the "in progress" version for now. So more reading and YouTube watching for us both. All we need now is for me to make a decision on a Radio. Plus of course - retire!
MW0MWZ
Site Admin

Post by MW0MWZ »

KE7FNS wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 6:40 pm For DMR I like the BTECH DMR-6X2, it was cheap and works great.
I'm a fan of the AnyTone radios - ML&S stock them in the UK, feature rich, good for using DMR as a ham operator - many of the more expensive radios like Motorola *are* very good, but cost a lot and miss some features that I love (like the huge address book that you can put all DMR users into).
Andy

73 de MW0MWZ
http://pistar.uk
G6WOV

Post by G6WOV »

The DMR-6X2 does not appear to be as readily available as the extremely similar Anytone radios that are available here in the UK, and there are also Retevis Radios that are very similar too. These Dualband Handhelds are at very affordable prices, and there appear to be many preferences depending on where you read about them. Unlike when I first started in Amateur Radio, when I built my own equipment or repurposed ex Utility Radio and Equipment, it seems that good but cheap radios are more readily available today. My 2nd hand FT-290 took me a long time to save up for, and now it seems it's almost an antique.

But the Update(s) are working, so now I need a radio to start testing all the other Hotspot Features work properly. So my next questions will be relating to that I'm sure. Or you might just be able to chat with me on the air about other things too.

Again many thanks to you all for your help