4.1.5 without announcement?

General support for the Pi-Star System
n9mxq

4.1.5 without announcement?

Post by n9mxq »

Doing my weekly sudo-update on my hotspots, noticed a hit on sudo-upgrade.. Gave it a try and now my spots are at 4.1.5..

What, if anything changed other than the version number?
Gene in Belvidere IL
Please don't email me with questions.
That's what these forums are for.
There's much more brainpower collected here
than I have alone.
G8SEZ

Re: 4.1.5 without announcement?

Post by G8SEZ »

n9mxq wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 5:25 pm Doing my weekly sudo-update on my hotspots, noticed a hit on sudo-upgrade.. Gave it a try and now my spots are at 4.1.5..

What, if anything changed other than the version number?
It's possible to find out from the github commits, sometimes there is a changelog, sometimes not.
--

Brian G8SEZ
G8SEZ

Post by G8SEZ »

KE7FNS wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:20 pm
G8SEZ wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 8:46 pm It's possible to find out from the github commits, sometimes there is a changelog, sometimes not.
Yeah, my guess is Andy got super busy and hasn't had time to post an announcement.
I expect that soon Andy will find a way to automate the pistar-upgrade process.
--

Brian G8SEZ
MW0MWZ
Site Admin

Post by MW0MWZ »

G8SEZ wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:24 pm
KE7FNS wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:20 pm
G8SEZ wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 8:46 pm It's possible to find out from the github commits, sometimes there is a changelog, sometimes not.
Yeah, my guess is Andy got super busy and hasn't had time to post an announcement.
I expect that soon Andy will find a way to automate the pistar-upgrade process.
Its now 1/2 automated, press the "Upgrade" link (or run the CLI version) once, and it will step through all the upgrades you need in one shot...
Similarly the update process self-restarts if the update script is updated to save you from updating twice in a row.

4.1.5 is such a small change in reality that it doesn't need a fan-fare, as has been posted - the pistar-upnp.service unit file has been worked over to make that work correctly (along with a LOAD of work that has been going on with that service as a whole).

For example it now only opens ports for ircDDBGateway if you actually use ircddbgateway - kinda pointless opening them if you don't isn't it.
Similarly it works out how to talk to your router once, if there is no uPNP router available the service will bail out. Small stuff that helps make it all a bit better, including (with the new unit file) the ability to pull the port forwards down when you shutdown / reboot the Pi.

As it turns out not many routers support the time-out option, and even less support updating the rule with a new time-out when the last one has not expired.... a shame, but there it is.
Andy

73 de MW0MWZ
http://pistar.uk
G8SEZ

Post by G8SEZ »

Thanks for the explanation Andy, it's all very interesting.

Lots of half-finished implementations around, I meant router upnp rather than Pi-Star :lol:
--

Brian G8SEZ