Problems with Repeaters without Internet on DMR

General support for the Pi-Star System
kp4ca

Problems with Repeaters without Internet on DMR

Post by kp4ca »

Hi, I have a question about the new version of pistar. Since the new update, in our repeaters that are with DMR, when the internet goes down, the repeater goes down completely and does not accept connections. In the past this situation had been corrected, but since the new version the same thing happened again. Is there any hidden setting to correct this? Thanks for any help you can provide.
MW0MWZ
Site Admin

Re: Problems with Repeaters without Internet on DMR

Post by MW0MWZ »

If the Pi has no IP address, the services don't start - how is the system connected to the internet?
Andy

73 de MW0MWZ
http://pistar.uk
ZL3DMH

Post by ZL3DMH »

I certainly Hope that this is not now what happens with the latest version when a site loses power and internet.

Living in aearthquake zone as we do Here theres every chance that power and internet disappears from a site for possibly days or weeks on end.

at least with the previous versions if only power was to become available but not internet Access at least after a period of time the Repeater would start up and be usable without the Internet being Available for local communication at least..
KI0EO

Post by KI0EO »

After doing some testing today, it appears that internet access is required for DMR to run.
I have a portable repeater that the local Hams can use for field events.
Some of these field events don't have internet access.
In the past as long as I had a router (no internet) for the repeater to connect to, we could use our DMR radios.
Have an upcoming field event (been awhile) and decided to put the repeater on the bench today and check alignment.
Upgraded to 4.1.5 and now I can no longer use DMR without an internet connection.
I'm currently running a ZUM USB board.
W1KMC

Post by W1KMC »

Not do do with pi-star directly but,

All pi-star modes need internetr as that is how it connects to reflectors and rooms and talkgroups. But in DMR anyways there is a 'local' Talkgroup (usually TG 9) but have any of you tried the "simplex" way on your repeater channel? -- This assumes battery or alternative non-mains power souurce for the repeater itself.

The simplex way is a channel (simplex as one-frequency usually, but you could TRY this on your repeater pair. Just set a channel as:

RX - 146.940000 | TX - 146.340000 | Time Slot 1 | TG - 99 | CC - 1 <<- This is an example and is the normal way but if you have the repeater pair with a different CC then use that instead for uniformity on your repeater.

This MAY allow you to at least use to talk locally through the repeater as if it were an analog one until internet is restored to the area.

Hope this helps.
I am no developer, guru, expert, nor do I claim to be or want to be. All advice I give is purely from experience and my efforts to help others.

W1KMC - Kevin M Carman
Bangor, ME
Jumbospot on a Pi0W
DMR 3123142 & 3123143
HHUS Trunk Ext 4329
kp4ca

Post by kp4ca »

@ Andy
Sorry for the late response. The system is connected in a remote area thru a router. The router share the internet to that pistar. If the internet is down in the area, the repeater is useless on DMR. It only works in FM. One strange thing is that If we connect the pistar to a ISPC server, then it works the DMR in the repeater. But, if we use a private HBlink server, BM or any other server, then the DMR is drop down.

@ Everybody
Thanks for your reply. Now I see we are not the only one with the issue.

Carlos
KP4CA
KB5OZE

Post by KB5OZE »

We had this same issue when Hurricane IDA came through. The storm knocked out the internet. The MMDVM repeaters had power, but the digital modes did not work. I hope there is a way to resolve this as we really could have used the 2 time slots on DMR.

Any one have a way to work around this?

Mike de KB5OZE
M1DNS
Pi-Star Team

Post by M1DNS »

One thing i will say at this point to the above is that pistar was never intended to be used as a repeater controller.

Can it be used, yes
Should it be used ??

Additions like supporting duplex and 3rd party users were all added were hardware and regulations from different parts of the world allowed for it.

Pistar is, and will prob. continue to be primarily aimed at being used with personal hotspots.

its based on the MMDVM project and sometimes a vanilla install of mmdvmhost might prove to be better in some use cases.

Sent via smoke signals from my SM-G935F M1DNS (Admin)

Andrew M1DNS.
Pi-star Admin Team.
PY2LY

Post by PY2LY »

Hi.

We have had the same issue with the repeaters connected on the Brandmeister here.
The last pistar releases could remains DMR MODE active even without the internet connection.

This is an essential condition in case of providing communication via ham radios in rescues or disasters even with internet lost.
I would like to know how to go back to the previous condition to remains the repeater working in case of internet lost.

It is not a case of functioning as a controller or not, but a case of being an essential resource.
I hope the developers manage to fix this big problem.

Best regards and 73
Fabio Poli PY2LY
M1DNS
Pi-Star Team

Post by M1DNS »

When it comes to rescue and disaster communication i dont think I'd be putting my trust in cheap chineese handhelds.

If lives depends on it, the correct investment would be essential.

Sent via smoke signals from my SM-G935F M1DNS (Admin)

Andrew M1DNS.
Pi-star Admin Team.