zumspot dual band

General support for the Pi-Star System
kb1o

zumspot dual band

Post by kb1o »

I have a dual band zumspot from but it will xmitt on vhf on dstar,fusion and dmr am i missing something ...Running pi-star 4.1.5 any help...de KB1O
AF6VN

Re: zumspot dual band

Post by AF6VN »

To my understanding, being dual-band only means that it can be configured to operate on VHF or UHF, but only ONE BAND/frequency without changing the configuration to a different band/frequency.

I presume you have the Radio/Modem entry configured for ZUMSPOT - Dual Band... With that set, you should be able to go up in the config section to Frequency, and select either a 2m or a 70cm frequency on which to operate; but you'll only get to select one frequency. You can't put D-STAR on 2m with DMR 70cm. To achieve that type of split you will need a second (probably dual-band) ZUMSPOT running with a different SSID (at least for DMR).

--
AF6VN
Dennis L Bieber
kb1o

Post by kb1o »

Thank you Dennis only one band at a time,146.750 mhz i can receive fine but when key the radio zumspot did not respond.....same on fusion .Should change frequency xmitt very low power...
kb1o

Post by kb1o »

I did manage to get dstar going on my icom ID-4100 so far....
AF6VN

Post by AF6VN »

kb1o wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 8:02 pm Thank you Dennis only one band at a time,146.750 mhz i can receive fine but when key the radio zumspot did not respond.....same on fusion .Should change frequency xmitt very low power...
The radios typically have to be set for Repeater use -- but you need to override the default repeater shift with a 0.0 shift (plus or minus doesn't matter) (for most DMR radios, this means you have the SAME frequency in the Rx and Tx boxes, and talk-around is turned off for the channel). Standard repeater shift (I'm not looking at a bandplan so don't know if it is Plus or Minus) would mean you are transmitting on 146.150 or 147.350.

I don't know how ICOM handles D-STAR nodes. The Kenwood D74 has all D-STAR repeaters in a separate database from regular channels, including Lat/Long. To select one you have to (for some reason) set the radio to VFO (not memory recall), press the Digital button until either DV or DR appears (simplex vs repeater), the press the D-Pad (forget if UP or DOWN) to get D-Star repeater page, select Nearest, OKAY. It then uses your GPS (or preset) location to match up to the database. That means you have to enter your Hotspot as a repeater with your location into the database.

Granted, that does result in some nonsense out in the field... I was 12 miles from home (as the crow flies) and searched for "nearest repeater", and it recommended my Hotspot, as the two Grand Rapids repeaters were around 14 miles from the site. Had to scroll up or down to find second nearest.

Absolutely no idea of YSF configuration. And, as mentioned above, for DMR you put the same frequency into both boxes of the channel config. The first thing you have to do is configure the talk groups you intend to access via the hotspot. THEN you have to create a channel for each talk group (identical except for channel name, and contact (talk group) name. Finally, you have to add the channels to a named Zone -- since channel select is based upon the active zone.

--
AF6VN
Dennis L Bieber