Updating OS from Buster to Bullseye

General support for the Pi-Star System
RC3C

Updating OS from Buster to Bullseye

Post by RC3C »

Hi guys

Any issues with MMDVM/Pistar while Updating OS from Buster (Debian 10) to Bullseye (Debian 11) ?
I have

Code: Select all

Last login: Sat Aug 14 17:09:28 2021 from 192.168.80.141
rc3c@rc3c-pistar(ro):~$ cat /etc/debian_version
rc3c@rc3c-pistar(ro):~$
Thanks
73! Anton aka Tony
EL #2102, EL #53698, DMR #2503041, XLX937-B
Clubs: RC5C, RY3AAL, NMDXC

RC3C

Re: Updating OS from Buster to Bullseye

Post by RC3C »

KE7FNS wrote: I'm sure Andy will download it and use it to build a new image. So its going to take some time as things that rely on things before them to fall into place.
Thanks for reply. OK. LEt's wait until new image will be released.
73! Anton aka Tony
EL #2102, EL #53698, DMR #2503041, XLX937-B
Clubs: RC5C, RY3AAL, NMDXC

K2IE

Post by K2IE »

To update this...

There is now a release of Bullseye by the Raspberry Pi Foundation.

However, it has a number of problems in an upgrade situation. As of this writing, it can break DHCP and it can break library dependencies. This could result in a system that boots without network capabilities or does not boot at all, depending upon circumstances. My results have been all over the spectrum with other Raspberry Pi builds (not Pi-Star).

So for anyone who is thinking about trying to upgrade on their own, make a good config backup and be ready to trash your system.

I'm pretty sure that when Andy decides to do a release based upon Bullseye it will be a complete rebuild rather than an upgrade.
G8SEZ

Post by G8SEZ »

KE7FNS wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 5:37 pm
K2IE wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 3:48 pm So for anyone who is thinking about trying to upgrade on their own, make a good config backup and be ready to trash your system.
Lets just say for anyone who is even thinking about trying to upgrade on their own, unless they have years of experience with Linux they shouldn't even be attempting it, and if they run into issues they are completely on their own.
I decided to update my non-Pi-Star Pi 4 to RaspiOS Bullseye yesterday. It was surprisingly easy after a couple of gotchas (SSH is disabled by default) and for some reason a need to reduce the wpa_supplicant.conf contents to the minimum. After I installed the image and got it connected to WiFi an apt update/upgrade cycle updated about 100 packages.

I shall definitely be leaving the Pi-Stars alone until a stable Bullseye appears from Andy although I have now got a Pi Zero 2W for comparison purposes.
--

Brian G8SEZ
G8SEZ

Post by G8SEZ »

KE7FNS wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 8:49 pm
G8SEZ wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 6:14 pm I decided to update my non-Pi-Star Pi 4 to RaspiOS Bullseye yesterday. It was surprisingly easy after a couple of gotchas (SSH is disabled by default) and for some reason a need to reduce the wpa_supplicant.conf contents to the minimum. After I installed the image and got it connected to WiFi an apt update/upgrade cycle updated about 100 packages.
From what it sounds like you were just burning a new SD card and booting a new fresh image, the issue is K2IE is suggesting that its possible for people to just do an inplace update and that sort of thing is always a crapshoot with breaking packages. I have learned over the years that when a new Linux version comes out its best to wipe it completely and start all over.

With the latest Bullseye aarch64 I have experienced terrible input lag of 1 to 2 seconds over VNC when the RPi is headless and no monitor is attached, so its basically unusable. I had to revert to the older fkms video driver. Currently I'm just waiting for a fix and will retry it if I see reports of it being fixed.
Interesting, So far I'm just seeing if it would come up on the Pi 4. With Jessie and Buster there were fairly straightforward ways to upgrade without a complete reimage, Bullseye seems to have made this difficult if not impossible so I wasn't going to try. As for Pi-Star it's going to require some effort for those who know how. I don't know enough.
--

Brian G8SEZ
M1DNS
Pi-Star Team

Post by M1DNS »

A new image running bullseye is being worked on, but theres a fair few changes within it that need parts of pistar being reworked to make it compatible. Work in progress.

Sent via smoke signals from my SM-G935F M1DNS (Admin)

Andrew M1DNS.
Pi-star Admin Team.
MW0MWZ
Site Admin

Post by MW0MWZ »

M1DNS wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 7:37 pm A new image running bullseye is being worked on, but theres a fair few changes within it that need parts of pistar being reworked to make it compatible. Work in progress.

Sent via smoke signals from my SM-G935F M1DNS (Admin)
What he said :)

The build process for new images is also changing significantly for the next release too, so there will be a cycle of beta releases coming soon.

4.1.x will remain on version 10 (buster) and 4.2.x will be built on an all new bullseye build.
Previously all Pi-Star images were cloned from a (long) lineage of upgraded images, 4.2 breaks the mould and is built fresh from the ground up with no history from previous systems present. Previous incarnations of Pi-Star were built on Pi-Star, this is also no longer the case, I have a dedicated build system (that uses the same core as the Raspberry Pi Foundation use to create factory images). This should streamline future OS upgrades quite a lot.
Andy

73 de MW0MWZ
http://pistar.uk