Installation of fan-shim software stops hotspot

General support for the Pi-Star System
W4IND

Installation of fan-shim software stops hotspot

Post by W4IND »

Ihae a pi-3 with an MMDVM Duplex hotspot. I had it working fine. I installed a Pimoroni fan-shim fan. Aftr I installed the fan control software, the hotspot stopped working. Fortunately I saved the configuration before installing the fan softwre, but the restore didn't restore it. I had to flash the SD card then so the restore to resume operation. I have tried this twice with the same result (guess this makes me crazy). The fan installation is as follows:
rpi-rw
git clone https://github.com/pimoroni/fanshim-python
cd fanshim-python
sudo ./install.sh
sudo apt install python3-pip
cd examples
sudo ./install-service.sh --on-threshold 65 --off-threshold 55 --delay 2

When I check processes I see the fan-shim process installed and running, but the hotspot doesn't work until I flassh and reload the saved configuration
BTY, the fan runs without the fan software.
Kelton W4IND
W4IND

Re: Installation of fan-shim software stops hotspot

Post by W4IND »

Thanks for looking into the problem. I guess I will just use the fan without the temp. control. It seems to keep the cpu at about 52 degrees c.
Unforunately conflicts such as this cause us novices to pull out what hair we have left, ha ha.
Thanks again
Keltoon W4IIND
AF6VN

Post by AF6VN »

W4IND wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 7:49 pm Thanks for looking into the problem. I guess I will just use the fan without the temp. control. It seems to keep the cpu at about 52 degrees c.
Unforunately conflicts such as this cause us novices to pull out what hair we have left, ha ha.
Not a very effective fan, off hand.

I have an R-Pi 3B 1GB with a dual-band DV-Mega, located on top of a china cabinet which means very little air-flow (the cabinet top forms a cavity about 5 inches deep) and less than 18 inches from the ceiling (closer to just 12 inches), and as hot air rises...

NO FAN, and it runs at around 54degG (129degF) -- a bit warmer if I leave the admin/dashboard open in my browser. Powered 24/7...

--
AF6VN
Dennis L Bieber
K8SFM

Post by K8SFM »

Yea I tried the pimaroni and it do much good so I took it out. And the software messes things up as you have already discovered. It's more trouble than it's worth.