DSTAR <-> YSF Cross Connect Possible?

General support for the Pi-Star System
W6CJ

DSTAR <-> YSF Cross Connect Possible?

Post by W6CJ »

Is it possible to use a ZUM RPI to cross-connect between a Yaesu C4FM portable, and a D-Star reflector....or, D-Star portable and FCS or YSF reflector?
I understand that I may not be able to change reflectors or use other control functions when doing this.

Is there a text on how to do this?

W6CJ
M1DNS
Pi-Star Team

Re: DSTAR YSF Cross Connect Possible?

Post by M1DNS »

No it is not possible with what you have currently.

DSTAR uses an earlier codec that isn't capable of working with the newer codecs used in YSF DMR etc. So crossmodes is a no-go

You'll need additional hardware/software and infrastructure to make this happen.

Some of the XLX reflectors have this additional hardware that enables connected DSTAR users to talk with connected YSF/DMR users, which might be of some use to you.

There is a particular device that can acheive this, but it doesnt run mmdvm and isnt something that is covered, supported by, or a topic for this group.

Sent via smoke signals from my SM-G935F M1DNS (Admin)

Andrew M1DNS.
Pi-star Admin Team.
NQ4T

Re: DSTAR <-> YSF Cross Connect Possible?

Post by NQ4T »

The quality when you can make this happen is horrible both ways. Imagine a speek-n-spell trying to mimic another speek-n-spell. You have two layers of voice-optimized codecs and that never turns out well. I ran a reflector with the stuff to do the AMBE transcoding; it was lousy. You could always tell when someone was coming in that way because the quality of their audio was borderline unintelligble.
W6CJ

Re: DSTAR <-> YSF Cross Connect Possible?

Post by W6CJ »

Thanks all.... appreciate the comments.
Right - Now I'm noticing how DMR folks sound when they X over to YSF, or even a difference between, say, Americalink on WIRES-X versus how they sound on FCS00390.

W6CJ