Unexpected [DMR Network 1] Password changes

General support for the Pi-Star System
MD7MUP

Unexpected [DMR Network 1] Password changes

Post by MD7MUP »

My sincere apologies if this isn't the place for bug reports, but I've found some odd behaviour on my hotspot (ZUMspot:v1.5.1b running Pi-Star:4.1.5 / Dashboard: 20210721) which is readily reproducible, and I'm not sure where else to send this info.

To reproduce, set up a number of DMR networks in Expert DMR GW mode. I have Brandmeister as [DMR network 1] along with a custom password. Now also toggle D-Star from the config page. When hotspot reboots, the DMR box under Network Status is amber instead of green, indicating that one or more of your configured DMR networks is not able to fully connect. On investigation you'll see that the password for [DMR Network 1] has changed back to "passw0rd" instead of the custom value.

This behaviour is observed whenever D-Star is switched on or off, as well as during a number of other changes. It's easily fixed - I just keep the entire DMR GW text in a date-stamped TXT file outside of Pi-star - but I thought it worth mentioning in case it helps somebody.
AF6VN

Re: Unexpected [DMR Network 1] Password changes

Post by AF6VN »

It is pretty much a FAQ...

If you do any configuration using the EXPERT pages -- NEVER make changes using the basic CONFIG page!

The basic config page is designed to allow beginners to easily set up a /working/ configuration without drowning in the minutia of expert mode. As such, it assigns defaults to various fields that may or may not be visible on that config page -- those defaults tend to wipe out obscure expert mode settings. Also, while there are "Apply" buttons under each section of the basic config page -- those buttons activate a full config page save, not just the specific section being changed.

--
AF6VN
Dennis L Bieber
MD7MUP

Re: Unexpected [DMR Network 1] Password changes

Post by MD7MUP »

Thanks both for the response, I do appreciate it.
AF6VN wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 5:14 pm The basic config page is designed to allow beginners to easily set up a /working/ configuration without drowning in the minutia of expert mode. As such, it assigns defaults to various fields that may or may not be visible on that config page
Fair enough. It's a shame that fields which are common to both the basic config page and also the expert page can't sync both ways, but I understand there's only so much you can do to support two interfaces. Would be nice to see a warning though.
KE7FNS wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 5:29 pm Or you need to quit making changes in the main configuration settings area and only use the expert area to make all required changes from that point on.
I used the Expert page to change the DMR GW stuff, and the simple config page to enable D-Star. Those are two entirely separate aspects of the device and IMO it's not obvious that toggling the latter should result in the former being set to default values, though I get what you're saying about the separate submit buttons. Maybe a single button at the bottom of the page (and password in cleartext) would help? It's just a thought.

Thanks again for the response - 73s to all!