Should the Trx box be blank?

General support for the Pi-Star System
HB9FUH

Re: Should the Trx box be blank?

Post by HB9FUH »

KE7FNS wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 7:31 pm
HB9FUH wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 7:08 pm OK, update. On a whim I re-enabled YSF and it now shows Listening in the Trx box, plus it responds to my Yaesu radio. Still no response on DMR with my Baofeng RD-5R though.
That sounds like its a radio programming issue. Wrong DMR ID, wrong CC, wrong offset.
HB9FUH wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 7:08 pm I tried disabling and re-enabling DMR, but no change.
That isn't going to fix anything, just toggle the mode on and off. You've got to figure out your incorrect setting.
HB9FUH wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 7:08 pm What is odd is that with the same HT I can connect to DMR via the local repeater, so the radio itself functions.
Its not odd at all, its comparing apples and oranges. What you've shown is HT operates, but there are a number of things that have to be in alignment for it to work correctly using a hotspot. Make sure DMR ID matches what is programmed in your hotspot. It won't respond to a different DMR ID unless you set the hotspot to public. Check the CC, check to make sure that it is transmitting on the hotspots receive frequency, and receiving on the hotspots transmitting frequency. Adjust the offset.
Rx on the radio = Tx on the hotspot = 439.55
Tx on the radio= Rx on the Hotspot = 431.95
CC = 1 on both
Slot = 1 on radio, both enabled on hotspot
Offset is disabled on radio as Rx/Tx are set
Radio ID is same as hotspot.
Radio is a Baofeng RD-5R
HB9FUH

Post by HB9FUH »

KE7FNS wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 7:56 pm
HB9FUH wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 7:40 pm Rx on the radio = Tx on the hotspot = 439.55
Tx on the radio= Rx on the Hotspot = 431.95
That is a very weird offset selection. In the US we use a 5Mhz shift up or down depending on the frequency.
HB9FUH wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 7:40 pm Offset is disabled on radio as Rx/Tx are set
That is not the offset you need to adjust.
HB9FUH wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 7:40 pm Radio ID is same as hotspot.
Don't just say it matches, DOUBLE CHECK IT. You could have a typo.
I did double check it.
You skipped another question again.

Have you used MMDVMCal and PROPERLY set the offset?? Every radio that is manufactured has an allowed tolerance for being off frequency. If you haven't tuned it then it could be so far off frequency that it isn't recognized.

Run MMDVMCal.
I ran it,I got no response. I'll try it again.
HB9FUH

Post by HB9FUH »

I ran MMDVMCAL again. Once again I got no response when keying up the DMR radio. but I was able to get a response when keying the YSF radio. I put the offset I got from there into the Modem configuration, which has certainly improved my YSF transmissions, but done nothing for DMR
HB9FUH

Post by HB9FUH »

I'm away now, it's getting late here in the land of Heidi. I'll catch up with any replies in the morning.
HB9FUH

Post by HB9FUH »

This is bizarre. Just after my last post I disabled YSF and everything started working - sort of. The hotspot remains in listen mode, I can Tx and Rx from the Parrot without problem. I tried a talk group and seems as though I can be heard, but I can't hear any replies. When my buddy in the UK is up I'll try a private conversation with him.
HB9FUH

Post by HB9FUH »

Sit rep:

* handheld radio now talks to hotspot (Trx box show listening, responds to keydown)
* I can connect to Parrot and get a reply, both the the TG (9990) and via direct dial to 228997
* Connections to the Hotspot show up in the Brandmeister Last Heard list
* I cannot Tx or Rx with my friend in the UK, either directly or within a TG

If it weren't for the Parrot response and the fact that I show up in Last Heard I would suspect a network problem.
HB9FUH

Post by HB9FUH »

Must be. I’ll look again at the radio programming. Thanks for all the help.
HB9FUH

Post by HB9FUH »

We were troubleshooting via phone, so he was calling but I wasn’t receiving and vice versa.
EA3BIL

Post by EA3BIL »

HB9FUH wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 1:19 pm Thanks Rafa, Do you mea a picture of the physical unit?

Even if the offset needs setting, surely the dashboard would indicate that the hat is listening?
Yes, picture.
Update:
Just saw the model on the seller's web.

Dashboard WON'T show RF activity if OFFSET is wrong 'cause 7021 will be NOT receiving properly the RD5R signal.

YSF may eventually work even having OFFSETs on wrong values.
73'Rafael.
EA3BIL
JN11an