Zum Radio modem wont upgrade on Pistar V4.1.5 or 1.6

General support for the Pi-Star System
N9UMJ

Zum Radio modem wont upgrade on Pistar V4.1.5 or 1.6

Post by N9UMJ »

I recently upgraded pistar on a couple of my repeaters that are running Zum Radio modems V1.0
After the update the mode would not enable (stayed Red) Pistar notes indicated it may have been a firmware issue with the board.
I ran the firmware upgrade and the modems would not upgrade either, I tried both methods with the same results.
https://www.hamradio.com/images_managed ... 1_2020.pdf
https://github.com/juribeparada/MMDVM_m ... v1_0_en.md

See attachment

Suggestions would be appreciated

n9umj
Attachments
Screenshot 2021-12-12 at 00-42-22 Pi-Star - Digital Voice Dashboard - SSH.png
Screenshot 2021-12-12 at 00-42-22 Pi-Star - Digital Voice Dashboard - SSH.png (60.15 KiB) Viewed 1718 times
G8SEZ

Re: Zum Radio modem wont upgrade on Pistar V4.1.5 or 1.6

Post by G8SEZ »

By the look of it you have firmware that includes FM mode, which I think is not compatible with the current Pi-Star and also needs an MMDVM board with a lot more CPU power than the Zum v1.o radio has.

I think you need to look at the command for flashing from Pi-Star and use the correct argument for a Zum MMDVM.

See this post:

viewtopic.php?p=15536#p15536

it should allow you to determine the correct command for the hardware you have.
--

Brian G8SEZ
N9UMJ

Post by N9UMJ »

Brian
Thanks for the reply, This isnt a hotspot zumboard, It's a Zum Radio modoem gpio , running on a rpi 3B+. I have 4 other repeaters running on pistar v 1.4.15 but havent tried the firmware upgrade to the modem through pistar yet.

The two I'm upgrading have been in service for 5 years on RPI 2 B Boards and was attempting a full upgrade ZuMRadio GPIO v1.0 , RPI 3B+, new SD card and pistar V1.4.16.

Pistar doesn't see the modem version and won't enable the ysf or any other mode, That's when I tried to upgrade the firmware using the same methods I have used before without an issue, 20+ repeaters and high power hotspots using the zum radio modems. Ive not had an issue until v 4.1.16

I was wondering what had changed and what I needed to do on my end??

Best Regards
n9umj
G8SEZ

Post by G8SEZ »

OK, my mistake, I don't think I can offer any advice given your combination of hardware that I am not familiar with.

I have 4.1.16 here but have not done a modem flash with this version, it's possible that something has changed but I am not aware of anything obvious.
--

Brian G8SEZ
N9UMJ

Post by N9UMJ »

KE7FNS

I made the speed change to 115,200 and I was able to flash the MMDVM firmware to the modem, But pistar still doesn't enable the ysf or any other mode or recognize the modem, I tried different modems and Pistar doesn't recognize the v1.0 or the v0.90,. Ive tried different RPI 2.0 to pi3b+ and the Zum Radio GPIO firmware version doesn't show up on the dashboard and the mode won't enable, New cards, fresh downloads on 4 different computers, different rpi and new modem radio boards, I still have 4 repeaters running on earlier pi versions, but afraid to upgrade them and have the same issue.

The speed change helped! I'm wondering if the incompatability could have damaged the modem? Since it takes the flash now , I thought it would show up on pistar??

Any suggestions would be appreciated!!

RIck - n9umj
N9UMJ

Post by N9UMJ »

Thank You for the feed back , Where can I find the procedure and an earlier version of MMDVM

I suspect this is what I'm looking for?
https://github.com/g4klx/MMDVM/commit/6 ... 69e20a3e14

Thanks again

n9umj