Pi-Star dashboard will no longer load on my MacBook

General support for the Pi-Star System
M7JHB

Pi-Star dashboard will no longer load on my MacBook

Post by M7JHB »

I have recently bought a Zumspot which has been working fine via my Apple router using my MacBook and iPhone. However, recently the pi-star dashboard will not load on either my MacBook or iPhone. I cannot find a solution and have not (knowingly) changed anything on the router settings.

I use the Zumspot with a Yaesu FT3 hand held and so far the Zumspot has remained in the same place within the house since originally setting it up. Unfortunately the FT3 does not seem to connect with the Zumspot to change rooms etc and so I have been using the dashboard to achieve this. Up until recently this has all worked well; but now with no access to the dashboard I am stumped.

Any guidance will be much appreciated.

Regards

Andrew
M7JHB
AF6VN

Re: Pi-Star dashboard will no longer load on my MacBook

Post by AF6VN »

How have you been connection to the unit -- by hostname or by IP number. If the latter, it might be that the router has assigned a new IP number to the hotspot.

Log into your router administration pages and see what devices are connected, and under what hostname and IP #.

Is this a hardwired connection to the router (especially from your computers) or all WiFi links? Some routers isolate WiFi links to WAN-only, blocking LAN<>LAN links (this is the configuration seen in public WiFi systems, though my router supports a second SSID for "Guest" connections which also block internal connections).

--
AF6VN
Dennis L Bieber
M7JHB

Post by M7JHB »

Many thanks to AF6VN and KE7FNS for your replies to my current challenge with my Zumspot/hotspot.

I respond as follows:

To AF6VN

I have been connecting via the Pi-Star dashboard which automatically picked up the Zumspot I guess using IP address?

I don’t seem to be able to log into my router admin pages as I cannot find the username details!

Connections for the Zumspot, MacBook and iPhone to the Airport Extreme router are all using wi-fi.

To KE7FNS

The Zumspot/hotspot is still responding to RF.
How do I create a re-image and restoration of the configuration settings?

I have not disconnected the hotspot from its power supply, but cannot shut it down properly without access to the Pi-Star dashboard (as far as I know!).

Navigating this is both fun and frustrating given my small experience baseline with this new (to me) approach.

It seems that firstly I need to find out how to get into the admin’ page for my router having lost the username info’ and hopefully from there I can resolve the problem.

Thank you both for your support.

M7JHB
AF6VN

Post by AF6VN »

M7JHB wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 1:21 pm I have been connecting via the Pi-Star dashboard which automatically picked up the Zumspot I guess using IP address?

I don’t seem to be able to log into my router admin pages as I cannot find the username details!

Connections for the Zumspot, MacBook and iPhone to the Airport Extreme router are all using wi-fi.
The dashboard is just a web page -- you connect to the web-server running on the R-Pi...

http://pi-star-3b/admin/ is a connection by name (note -- this is MY system, I changed host name long ago)
http://192.168.1.79/admin/ is the same thing using IP#

(Second note: I tend to skip the read-only dashboard and go directly to the Admin page)

As for router config -- if you never set custom login, you might try Google (or other search engine) to find documentation for your router model; there may be a default login (I had an old one where the username is blank, and the password was "admin"; my current ATT/U-Verse has the login/password on a sticker on the side of the box). You will need that to check for IP# and if LAN<>LAN traffic is blocked.

Code: Select all

P Allocation
IPv4 Address / Name 	MAC Address 	Status 	Allocation 	Action
192.168.1.68 / EPSONF4EF32 	00:26:ab:f4:ef:32 	on 	DHCP Allocation 	
192.168.1.65 / DIRECTV-HR54-C94828D7 	18:16:c9:48:28:d9 	on 	DHCP Allocation 	
192.168.1.72 / android-f2715b5ffc0fee68 	58:b0:d4:3b:09:ee 	off 	DHCP Allocation 	
192.168.1.70 / Galaxy-S9 	8c:45:00:6d:1a:4c 	on 	DHCP Allocation 	
192.168.1.79 / pi-star-3b 	b8:27:eb:4b:0b:d5 	on 	DHCP Allocation 	
192.168.1.252 / microdiversity 	b8:27:eb:ce:b1:eb 	on 	DHCP Allocation 	
192.168.1.66 / ElusiveUnicorn 	b8:ca:3a:79:0c:36 	on 	DHCP Allocation 	
192.168.1.84 / HP7C548D 	c4:65:16:7c:54:8d 	on 	DHCP Allocation

--
AF6VN
Dennis L Bieber
M7JHB

Post by M7JHB »

Many thanks for your various and comprehensive responses, I will begin by checking through the suggestions and hopefully I will be able to connect to the dashboard and get things working once again.

Regards

M7JHB
EA3BIL

Post by EA3BIL »

KE7FNS wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 6:45 pm

Code: Select all

http://pi-star/

http://pi-star.local/

As per my experience,
Apples' users need to use http://pi-star.local to reach the DashBoard.
73'Rafael.
EA3BIL
JN11an