MMVDM No RX or TX

General support for the Pi-Star System
K7PA

MMVDM No RX or TX

Post by K7PA »

I have a new MMDVM pi-star duplex hotspot. I have configured the hot spot to 433.5500 RX and 438.550 TX. I have an Anytone 878UV II 2 and have programmed a couple channels to the freq listed and also the same TG with reverse freq as listed and created Zone for this setup. I know the Anytone is TX on it's programmed freq. The MMDVM does not response to either TX freq. I have confirmed the Anytone is transmitting on the correct freq for both normal and reverse. Is there a way to force the MMDVM transmit? Is there a way to determine if the MMDVM is listening on the correct freq?
Very frustrating.

Thanks,
Ron K7PA
Ron, K7PA
Newport, OR
-•–• --•- -•• • -•- --••• •--• •- -•-
K7PA

Re: MMVDM No RX or TX

Post by K7PA »

I have made some progress. I had a few things set wrong in the hotspot. I am now able to receive, but no transmit. The hotspot does not respond. I have calibrated the hot spot receiver to my radio transmit freq, but noting.

Yes I had a similer problem with a previous hotspot - it wasn't working at all. Long story short - talked to tech support and there was something wrong that was causing several things to be broken - so returned it. the replacement is working fine except for not hearing my radio. I've verified that my TX freq and the hotspot freq are the same. when calibrating in simplex the BER is 0.15%. My brain says this should work - but no so.

I'll keep plugging away.
Ron, K7PA
Newport, OR
-•–• --•- -•• • -•- --••• •--• •- -•-
M1DNS
Pi-Star Team

Post by M1DNS »

If the radio is set correctly, and the install is seeing the actual 1&0s of the transmission most times the pistar live logs will report the error as to why your not making it in.

Obvs. It has to be seeing the 1&0s if not it cant do its thing.

Are you 100% certain you have bought a duplex modem? And as jason asks is it loaded with the correct duplex firmware?

Using the command pistar-findmodem on the CLI will go a little ways to answering that.

Sent via smoke signals from my SM-G935F M1DNS (Admin)

Andrew M1DNS.
Pi-star Admin Team.
EA3BIL

Post by EA3BIL »

K7PA wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 5:59 am ....
when calibrating in simplex the BER is 0.15%.
When HS works in simplex, it uses to "dismiss" the TS being used (even we all agree in using TS2 to keep things easy).

When working in Duplex, protocol is a bit more complex...

First,
TS is taken in consideration.

Second,
Your radio needs to receive the ACK from the HS in order to "allow the TX", if the ACK is not received then you get an error message from your radio... "Out of range" / "Timeout" or similar.
Note:
This is one way to check wether you are in or out of range for a repeater (or Duplex HS) and... No, you'll never know about this on Simplex/DMO.

So...

A precise calibrarion on the MMDVM is MANDATORY always and even more on Duplex systems.

Please, be carefull with RF levels from your radio and HS location. Use as LOW as possible...
Take the HS at least 10 feet away to make sure RF is not "drunking" the HS.
If possible, use a low power walkie and check...

Please, let us know about any progres.
73'Rafael.
EA3BIL
JN11an
UT4URT

Post by UT4URT »

EA3BIL wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 9:12 pm
K7PA wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 5:59 am ....
when calibrating in simplex the BER is 0.15%.
When HS works in simplex, it uses to "dismiss" the TS being used (even we all agree in using TS2 to keep things easy).

When working in Duplex, protocol is a bit more complex...

First,
TS is taken in consideration.

Second,
Your radio needs to receive the ACK from the HS in order to "allow the TX", if the ACK is not received then you get an error message from your radio... "Out of range" / "Timeout" or similar.
Note:
This is one way to check wether you are in or out of range for a repeater (or Duplex HS) and... No, you'll never know about this on Simplex/DMO.

So...

A precise calibrarion on the MMDVM is MANDATORY always and even more on Duplex systems.

Please, be carefull with RF levels from your radio and HS location. Use as LOW as possible...
Take the HS at least 10 feet away to make sure RF is not "drunking" the HS.
If possible, use a low power walkie and check...

Please, let us know about any progres.
Greetings!
I'm gettinng an error message in Live Logs window: "Invalid Downlink Activate received from 101". This happens as i press PTT on my radio in attempt to connect the HS. To my opinion this all indicates to 'unability' of the HS to accept signal from the radio. And the idea of 'No ACK from the HS' is completely applicable to my situation.
The questions is: Would anybody suggest where in HS settings there are some parameters which i can set to affect the HS to senf ACK to the radio? This is to enable the radio to Tx to the HS. Please.
Boris, UT4URT