Monitoring two modes at once...

General support for the Pi-Star System
KF6GPE

Monitoring two modes at once...

Post by KF6GPE » Tue Oct 02, 2018 2:24 am

So, if the Pi-Star is monitoring two digital modes --- say, D-STAR and DMR --- which has priority if the pi-star receives packets from both over the Internet connection? I get that the RF path is just going to be RF --- whoever captures the receiver --- but on the Internet side there's no notion of capture effect.

Sorry if this is documented somewhere; I've been unable to find it.

Just got Pi-Star set up with a ZUMspot, and am very happy. Setup was a breeze, and it seems very flexible.

G4KLX

Re: Monitoring two modes at once...

Post by G4KLX » Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:53 am

The MMDVM (remember Pi-Star is a front end for the MMDVM which does the hard work) takes whichever modes packet comes in first and is decoded correctly. So it's a simple first come first served.

AF6VN

Post by AF6VN » Tue Oct 02, 2018 2:14 pm

If the status is just "Listening", it should be whatever mode arrives first (do the devices really do anything with the actual packets, or just strip the internet headers from the data packet before relaying the data out over the transmitter?).

If the status is /not/ just "Listening", the hang times for the various protocols comes into play -- the last seen protocol will be held until the hang time expires.

--
AF6VN
Dennis L Bieber

KB4NC

Post by KB4NC » Sat Nov 10, 2018 2:10 pm

I am using a zumspot that I have configured for DSTAR and DMR. The RF Hangtime and Net Hangtime are set to 20 for both. When I talk on one mode and there is traffic on another, sometimes I can’t key up the mode I am on. Do I have to disable the other mode or make another adjustment somewhere?

Thanks,
Manny
KB4NC

AF6VN

Post by AF6VN » Sat Nov 10, 2018 3:26 pm

The software will stay on the last active mode until the "hangtime" expires, after which it will listen for either mode again. The hangtime is to prevent traffic on the other mode from switching modes when there may be a response coming on the active mode (yeah -- my phrasing stinks).

Reducing the hangtime will allow faster switching between modes-- but also runs the risk of missing responses should traffic on the other mode come in.

--
AF6VN
Dennis L Bieber

KE0FHS

Post by KE0FHS » Sat Nov 10, 2018 5:20 pm

Here are some images to illustrate what Dennis is saying. This is for a simplex modem.

1. When you are connected to multiple modes and there is no activity on any of them, the Radio Info TRX section will be green and will display "Listening." While in this status, the modem will monitor, in turn, all active modes:
radioinfo-0-listening-all copy.jpg
radioinfo-0-listening-all copy.jpg (11.74 KiB) Viewed 188 times
2. If you transmit and the modem receives it, the Radio Info TRX section will be green and will display "RX [mode]." If the modem receives a transmission from someone else and transmits it to your radio, the Radio Info TRX section will be red and will display "TX [mode]" (if the mode is DMR, it also displays the time slot). While in the TX status, you can't break in with your own transmission.
radioinfo-1-rxtx-dmr.jpg
radioinfo-1-rxtx-dmr.jpg (22.06 KiB) Viewed 188 times
3. Immediately after RX or TX status and for the length of the hangtime, the TRX section will be orange and will display "Listening [mode]." While in this status, you can transmit or receive, but only in the mode that the modem is listening to:
radioinfo-2-listening-dmr.jpg
radioinfo-2-listening-dmr.jpg (12.43 KiB) Viewed 188 times
4. If no new activity occurs, the TRX section will revert to "Listening." While is this status, you can transmit or receive in any active mode:
radioinfo-0-listening-all copy.jpg
radioinfo-0-listening-all copy.jpg (11.74 KiB) Viewed 188 times
73, Toshen, KE0FHS
Playing with Pi-Star (unofficial notes about setting up and using Pi-Star):
http://pi-star.hamnotes.com

KB4NC

Post by KB4NC » Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:50 pm

Thank you for the explanation! I will watch my display closer.
Manny KB4NC