MMDVM HS Hat and Android set up

MMDVM_HS Hat hardware
K5JEP

MMDVM HS Hat and Android set up

Post by K5JEP » Sat Jul 11, 2020 2:55 am

I have one of these already set up in my house with my wifi internet since I did not want to pollute a repeater until I learned more basics. I ordered a second one and would like to set it up in my vehicle utilizing my phone as a hotspot (Straight Talk Android). My question is, is there a clear link to go to that I can follow for a setup, or would it be easier to copy my files from my other hotpsot and put it on the new card and just change config? Do I set the new hotpsot up using my laptop or my phone? And lastly, I do understand the new one does NOT need a new user id number so do I use my existing number on the new hotspot? I read somewhere that you need to add a 01, 02, 03 etc...to the end of your user number on each new hotspot. Will the system recognize this as me or did I miss something in translation. Any help or insight would be helpful as this old dog is trying new tricks...

KE7FNS

Re: MMDVM HS Hat and Android set up

Post by KE7FNS » Sat Jul 11, 2020 5:07 am

K5JEP wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 2:55 am
My question is, is there a clear link to go to that I can follow for a setup, or would it be easier to copy my files from my other hotpsot and put it on the new card and just change config?
I would just use your current configuration on the new one and change a few things, major things to change are the hostname, ESSID, and frequencies.
K5JEP wrote:
Do I set the new hotpsot up using my laptop or my phone?
Unless you've got a really giant screen on your phone it would probably be easier to just use a computer, but either way it doesn't matter.
K5JEP wrote:
And lastly, I do understand the new one does NOT need a new user id number so do I use my existing number on the new hotspot? I read somewhere that you need to add a 01, 02, 03 etc...to the end of your user number on each new hotspot. Will the system recognize this as me or did I miss something in translation.
You will use the same DMR ID that you were assigned, but you need to have a different ESSID for every hotspot associated with your DMR ID.

Set your first one to ESSID 01, and the new one to ESSID 02, and so on and so forth.

Also, I would set the hotspot up to recognize two wifi networks, the first one would be your phone wifi hotspot, and the second would be your home wifi network. I would set the phone wifi hotspot network to have a higher priority so that it would try to connect to it first. That way you can setup the device using your home network (with the phone wifi hotspot turned off) , and then when you want it to connect to the phone wifi hotspot simply turn on the phone wifi hotspot before you power up the new pi-star hotspot, and it should autoconnect. Then if you are home, just turn off the phone wifi hotspot and it should connect to your home network.
If someones previous actions are any indication of their future actions, then I predict the deletion and removal of access will happen at any moment. 7-11-2020.

"07/13/20 This Website Has Been Taken Down" ... again :lol:

K5JEP

Re: MMDVM HS Hat and Android set up

Post by K5JEP » Sat Jul 11, 2020 5:41 am

Thank you...gives me a better insight