Issue when selecting DUPLEX modem

MMDVM_HS Hat hardware
N5BOC

Issue when selecting DUPLEX modem

Post by N5BOC »

I am having trouble connecting to Brandmeister when I select the DUPLEX modem. It is almost as if my security password is not set. But if I incorrectly change it to a SIMPLEX modem, it works consistently. ( nothing changed in security settings )
So this brings me to a 2 pronged question.

#1: Anyone else had the problem I'm having when a DUPLEX modem is selected? I am not sure if this is Brandmeister only or does another network like TGIF have the same issue. ( I will do some work to access this )
#2: What exactly gets changed in Pi-Star when a modem is selected? I have my suspicion that selecting a modem just chooses some preset config settings for the MMDVMhost file. If this is correct I'd like to understand what is configured differently when jumping from SIMPLEX to DUPLEX modem. I am fairly sure the MMDVM board type ( SIMPLEX vs DUPLEX ) is in the header data sent to Brandmeister. I'm really hoping there isn't a problem at the server level and it locks me out if the word DUPLEX is in the header data.
KE7FNS
Pi-Star Team

Re: Issue when selecting DUPLEX modem

Post by KE7FNS »

N5BOC wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 1:58 am #1: Anyone else had the problem I'm having when a DUPLEX modem is selected? I am not sure if this is Brandmeister only or does another network like TGIF have the same issue. ( I will do some work to access this )
BM checks your configuration and if it is set improperly they will prevent you from operating on their network. Make sure you enter two different frequencies in the configuration when you select duplex. You should follow regular bandplan protocols for repeater shifts, but my guess is you don't have a shift set when you select duplex for some odd reason and that is why you are being blocked.
N5BOC wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 1:58 am #2: What exactly gets changed in Pi-Star when a modem is selected? I have my suspicion that selecting a modem just chooses some preset config settings for the MMDVMhost file. If this is correct I'd like to understand what is configured differently when jumping from SIMPLEX to DUPLEX modem. I am fairly sure the MMDVM board type ( SIMPLEX vs DUPLEX ) is in the header data sent to Brandmeister. I'm really hoping there isn't a problem at the server level and it locks me out if the word DUPLEX is in the header data.
All the required settings get changed for you. The basic configuration pretty much holds a users hands and does it for them. It chooses the correct serial port, if its simplex or duplex, and some other things. You'd have to dig through the dashboard php code to see what all it sets and I'm too tired to bother getting it for you right now.

You can always use the expert settings, but if you ever go back to the basic settings and hit apply changes it will wipe out things you might of entered in the expert settings.
If someones previous actions are any indication of their future actions, then I predict the deletion and removal of access will happen at any moment. 7-11-2020.

"07/13/20 This Website Has Been Taken Down" ... again :lol: