What is HS_Dual_Hat firmware at now?

MMDVM_HS Hat hardware
W1KMC

What is HS_Dual_Hat firmware at now?

Post by W1KMC »

Usually I am the one helping newbies when I can, now I need a hand from some more experienced than me.

A friend of mine sent me his MMDVM Dual Hat (and his RasPi3 it is running on) for me to see if I want one (he got it on fleabay, but I have had decent luck with my stuff there), now for my question:

Upon getting his package in the mail, I went and did a sudo pistar-update, just in case things changed since last he updated this particular setup. Then I did a sudo pistar-mmdvmhshatflash hs_dual_hat and the first few times it puked. (he had this showing as a HS_HAT 1.3.3) and was selected as a STM32_mmdvm hs_hat GPIO -- the single version. Well I changed it to the Dual hat but still showed as HS_HAT 1.3.3 -- I came here and found I needed to short out JP1 on this board to upgrade -- I did this with a paperclip and needlenose pliers (my soldering sucks :-) -- he can do a permanent job himself)

Upon having the JP1 clamped, I ran sudo pistar-mmdvmhshatflash hs_dual_hat again and now the dahbooard shows HS_HAT 1.4.12 -- now I now the single boards show this, what should a dual board show? and how do I get it to show the dual hat?

Thanks to the gurus for any help they can offer me.

73 de W1KMC, for KB8IWO in Michigan (it's his board :-) )
I am no developer, guru, expert, nor do I claim to be or want to be. All advice I give is purely from experience and my efforts to help others.

W1KMC - Kevin M Carman
Bangor, ME
Jumbospot on a Pi0W
DMR 3123142 & 3123143
HHUS Trunk Ext 4329
KE0FHS

Re: What is HS_Dual_Hat firmware at now?

Post by KE0FHS »

Hi Kevin, I have one of the MMDVM_HS_Dual_Hats from Germany that I updated to the latest firmware, and it's also displaying HS_Hat:v1.4.12. So I think you're good to go.

(Because this board has the 12.288 MHz TCXO, the firmware update command I use is slightly different: sudo pistar-mmdvmhshatflash hs_hat-12mhz, but they're all based on the same release by Andy, CA6JAU: https://github.com/juribeparada/MMDVM_HS/releases.)

P.S. In the notes for the MMDVM_HS project, Andy notes: "Full duplex support with two ADF7021." He also lists some duplex board issues and solutions:
  • Very difficult DMR activation ("repeater fail" error): disable mode scanning, select just DMR mode.
  • Not DMR activation ("repeater fail" error) with MD380, Ailunce HD1 or some other radios: increase DMR deviation to 55 % or 60 %.
  • RX timeout: this is due to TX and RX clock differences, which does not have easy solution. Be sure your firmware version is >= 1.4.7, which minimizes this problem.
73, Toshen, KE0FHS
Playing with Pi-Star (unofficial notes about setting up and using Pi-Star):
https://amateurradionotes.com/pi-star.htm
wx9kvh

Post by wx9kvh »

How does one discover which board they have. If what i’m reading is correct, there are 3 different variants? Im trying to upgrade mine from 1.3.3 and have had 0 luck.

Dealing with the pesky “Repeater not found” issue on both my Anytone portables.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
KE0FHS

Post by KE0FHS »

The best way is to ask the vendor you purchased it from. Another way is to start a new topic, post a photo of your board, and ask if anyone can identify it.
73, Toshen, KE0FHS
W1KMC

Post by W1KMC »

What I can't tell is if I have the "regular" or 12MHz board, (not mine anyways , it's a friends) but his vendor insists the offset is negative 475 but no sound/no Xmit triggering with that offset, but the board is picking up YSF but no Yeasu to test with. If I turn off YSF and just have DMR on, the DMR light no blinky, doesn't come on at all.

I did use the sudo pistar-mmdvmhshatflash hs_dual_hat-12mhz as suggested. maybe I should try the command less the -12mhx?
I am no developer, guru, expert, nor do I claim to be or want to be. All advice I give is purely from experience and my efforts to help others.

W1KMC - Kevin M Carman
Bangor, ME
Jumbospot on a Pi0W
DMR 3123142 & 3123143
HHUS Trunk Ext 4329
KE0FHS

Post by KE0FHS »

As far as I know, the only 12 MHz boards are the ones that were made by Florian, DF2ET, Mathis, DB9MAT, and Andreas, DO7EN, in Germany.
73, Toshen, KE0FHS
W1KMC

Post by W1KMC »

Been reorganizing my home office and computer taken apart, (plus setting up this new one :-) ) so I haven't been on as of late. Thanks Toshen, I will try the regular as the board is from China (what should I expect when he still sells them for $39 US.

I appreciate your responses, I will try as soon as I am able and let you know. I also appreciate your website, I find it VERY useful for those trying to do their own Pi-Star configs, (at least trying to anyways). I run a few websites for clubs and will definitely put a link on there for others to learn from you.

Have a great day.

W1KMC - Kevin M Carman
Bangor, ME
Jumbospot on a Pi0W
DMR 3123142 & 3123143
HHUS Trunk Ext 4329