FW 1.4.14 breaks my duplex hat

MMDVM_HS Hat hardware
KD4PPG

FW 1.4.14 breaks my duplex hat

Post by KD4PPG »

So I saw that firmware 1.4.14 was out. I made sure pi-star was updated (sudo pistar-update, sudo pistar-upgrade), then sudo pistar-mmdvmhshatflash hs_dual_hat

All progressed as expected, indicating a successful download/build/install cycle. Upon reboot, DMR would not connect, the FW version would not display in the dashboard, DMR and DMR Net stayed red, and every so often went green then red again. Logs showed errors about being unable to get the version number.

I tried a number of things to resolve this based on google searching, and ended up hosing the entire installation. I burned the beta image back to SD card, updated, and configured from scratch again, and still it didn't work. I then ran pistar-mmdvmhshatdowngrade and downgraded back to 1.4.12, and everything is back to working again.

This board is an inexpensive board from china by way of ebay. It came with no documentation. I've been running it in a test configuration for months, updating as needed. It originally had I think 1.4.8 firmware, and I updated it to 1.4.12 when that was released. I have it on a raspberry pi 3 b+.

This is the first real issue I've had with this board, aside from its general inability to talk more than 20 feet away.

Any pointers on the next steps I should take to figure out what's going wrong? Aside from buying a good board from a reputable dealer (which I do plan to do in early 2019)?

Thanks,
Jim
73 de K9AGR, Jim
KE0FHS

Re: FW 1.4.14 breaks my duplex hat

Post by KE0FHS »

I had a similar situation with a simplex board yesterday. I did what I always do in situations like this, which is to run through all the updates/upgrades again even if everything appears to be on the latest (Pi-Star Update, Pi-Star Upgrade, firmware update), including Applying Changes on the Configuration page, and rebooting several times. I don't know what exactly fixed the issue, but by the end of the cycle, everything was working fine on firmware v1.4.14.
73, Toshen, KE0FHS
Playing with Pi-Star (unofficial notes about setting up and using Pi-Star):
https://amateurradionotes.com/pi-star.htm
KE0FHS

Post by KE0FHS »

FYI, I just updated my dual board (by Florian, DF2ET, Mathis, DB9MAT, and Andreas, DO7EN) with no issues. That's the fourth board I've updated to firmware v1.4.14, and I only had issues with the one simplex board. Stuff happens.

BTW, I just noticed that there is another dashboard update today ... now at v20181219. I don't immediately see any obvious changes, so maybe it addresses some issue or another.

BTW 2: I think it's a good idea to at least occasionally run a Pi-Star Update via an external SSH app. That is the most robust way to run an update as it updates the Pi-Star software, binaries, hostfiles, dashboard, and operating system, and it gives you a chance to take care of any steps of Raspbian updates that require manual input.
73, Toshen, KE0FHS
Playing with Pi-Star (unofficial notes about setting up and using Pi-Star):
https://amateurradionotes.com/pi-star.htm
KD4PPG

Post by KD4PPG »

Well, I'll be damned.

I swear I did many iterations of pistar-update and pistar-upgrade to make sure I was up to date. Had 20181217 dashboard. But this morning I hooked up the pi, ran a pistar-update, and it seemed like the entire system was updated.

I went through the cycle several more times, with reboots in between, until it appeared that no changes were happening.

At that point, I did the pistar-mmdvmhshatflash hs_dual_hat command, and after a reboot, everything started up normally.

This is a non-issue now.

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll try harder next time. LOL
73 de K9AGR, Jim
F1CXG

Post by F1CXG »

I already had these problems after an update, now I use these lines of code on (to use under "ssh") :

Code: Select all

rpi-rw

cd ~

curl -OL https://raw.github.com/juribeparada/MMDVM_HS/master/scripts/install_fw_hshat.sh

sudo chmod +x install_fw_hshat.sh

sudo pistar-watchdog.service stop; sudo systemctl stop mmdvmhost.timer; sudo systemctl stop mmdvmhost.service

./install_fw_hshat.sh

sudo pistar-watchdog.service start; sudo systemctl start mmdvmhost.timer; sudo systemctl start mmdvmhost.service

sudo reboot
73's
Thierry F1CXG
WN4EMT

Post by WN4EMT »

F1CXG wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 12:21 pm I already had these problems after an update, now I use these lines of code on (to use under "ssh") :

Code: Select all

rpi-rw

cd ~

curl -OL https://raw.github.com/juribeparada/MMDVM_HS/master/scripts/install_fw_hshat.sh

sudo chmod +x install_fw_hshat.sh

sudo pistar-watchdog.service stop; sudo systemctl stop mmdvmhost.timer; sudo systemctl stop mmdvmhost.service

./install_fw_hshat.sh

sudo pistar-watchdog.service start; sudo systemctl start mmdvmhost.timer; sudo systemctl start mmdvmhost.service

sudo reboot
73's
Thierry F1CXG
Wow I tried to update to 1.4.14 for weeks now and kept having to reload the original 1.4.6 firmware back into it, to no avail. I tried what you posted above step-by-step and WALLAH it worked and I'm flashed to 1.4.14 firmware!!! Thank you so much for your tips!