MMDVM HS Hat clone D-Star Late Entry

MMDVM_HS Hat hardware
w1bsb

MMDVM HS Hat clone D-Star Late Entry

Post by w1bsb »

I've got one of the clones (aka Jumbospot), it works very well on DMR although I don't use DMR much, but on D-Star every now and then i get an RF Late Entry, and sometimes during an active transmission, it'll stop transmitting, say the same thing, and then pick back up again even though the traffic never reaches the network.

I've adjusted RXOffset from what the sticker said (300) up to 825 based on BER, and consistently see 0.0% BER on D-Star, and 0.1-0.5% BER on DMR, but the issue still persists. I'm not sure if its a faulty Jumbospot, but it has the latest firmware v1.3.3. I see the D-Star RF Late Entry occasionally, usually a couple of times a day, which sometimes shows 1-2% BER, and sometimes during the day it'll mess up during active transmissions. Wondering where else to look, I've tried everything I know how to do including trying a custom compiled MMDVMHost to no avail.

Colby W1BSB
MW0MWZ
Site Admin

Re: MMDVM HS Hat clone D-Star Late Entry

Post by MW0MWZ »

What model Pi are you using, and do you have the latest updates?
Andy

73 de MW0MWZ
http://pistar.uk
w1bsb

Post by w1bsb »

Pi 3, and Pi Zero, and yes, I do.

Same behavior on both of them.

Colby W1BSB
MW0MWZ
Site Admin

Post by MW0MWZ »

On the Pi Zero - I could have said that its a CPU issue (the dashboard uses *ALL* of the CPU on the Zero....

But since you have the same issue on a Pi 3, its not that, despite the system saying the BER on D-Star is 0.0%, I bet the Rx offset is still slightly off, what frequency are you using - its just possible that there are other devices near by in the 70cm band (don't forget 70cm also has the licence free ISM band crap in it too, so it doesn't have to be HAM related), you might try moving to another frequency to see if things improve.
Andy

73 de MW0MWZ
w1bsb

Post by w1bsb »

Thanks Andy. I probably shouldv'e said that in my original posting.

First, I tried 432.725, which is usually what I use. Then I figured maybe stray RF, so I moved it to 446.450. 70cm around here is completely dead, nobody uses it. We have two repeaters on 440, and only one within 40 miles.

I thought maybe the RX Offset was off, but I'm not really sure how else to adjust it. You got any ideas? I adjusted it primarily for DMR since it seems to be more finicky. The sticker said 300 for both TX and RX which I took to mean +300, so I started there. I did notice that I needed less offset on 446.450 than I did on 432.725, however.

I thought the Pi Zero may have been an issue, but I also tried a vanilla install of MMDVMHost under Debian to rule that out, and moved it to my Pi 3. Do you have any tips for better setting the RX Offset? I did the "trial and error" method. Started at 300, keyed up DMR, no go, increased in 100khz increments, and settled on 800 or 825 depending on frequency. Thanks

Colby W1BSB

Colby W1BSB
MW0MWZ
Site Admin

Post by MW0MWZ »

Colby,

Trial and Error method is (sadly) as good as it gets at the moment, for the sake of nothing but a test, it would be worth trying D-Star with a 0 offset (I know that will make DMR un-happy) and see if/how it performs, its just possible that your D-Star and DMR radios are far enough apart in their adjustment that you will never find the happy medium for them both.

Andy
Andy

73 de MW0MWZ