MMDVM HS HAT Error - Failed to Init Device

MMDVM_HS Hat hardware
KI7UXT

Re: MMDVM HS HAT Error - Failed to Init Device

Post by KI7UXT »

f1rmb wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 7:11 am You're powering your Pi using the wrong USB socket, use the other one (the one next to the corner).
Thanks Daniel, I didn't know that and will use the USB socket by the corner. I did try both USB sockets, and didn't fix my Pi 0 + mmdvmhshat communication error.
KI7UXT

Post by KI7UXT »

G8SEZ wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 4:03 pm It is often possible to fix this but it involves removing the OLED panel as the TCXO in question is underneath it.

If you are not set up for this I would suggest returning the board for a refund if you bought it via ebay or similar.
Thanks Brian, the JumboSpot is almost 2 years old and I purchased it from Alli Express.
f1rmb

Post by f1rmb »

Hi Kell,
KI7UXT wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 5:27 pm
f1rmb wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 7:11 am You're powering your Pi using the wrong USB socket, use the other one (the one next to the corner).
Thanks Daniel, I didn't know that and will use the USB socket by the corner. I did try both USB sockets, and didn't fix my Pi 0 + mmdvmhshat communication error.
Okay, maybe you can also redo the solder joints on the 2x5 headers on both boards.

Cheers.
---
Daniel
KI7UXT

Post by KI7UXT »

Thank you KE7FNS and F1RMB (Daniel) for taking the time to try and help me. I truly appreciate the help in trouble shooting. I've learned a bunch, and even last night I thought I might as well try a new Pi image (which I have never done before), so I grabbed a spare micro SD card, dl the Pi firmware, and created a boot image. The JumboSpot fired right up, but unfortunately the mmdvmhshat still had the communication error message. I got a lot of good use out of this JumboSpot, and just like me, its older and things just go bad for one reason or another. I will replace it with a new one shortly. But I will surely try the suggestions of unsoldering and soldering, and maybe get access to the pins. Will be a good learning experience for me. Thank you again and 73 to you both.