MMDVM not starting up

MMDVM_HS Hat hardware
KE7FNS
Pi-Star Team

Re: MMDVM not starting up

Post by KE7FNS »

K6KM wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 3:21 pm Figured out how to share the pictures.
I don't see anything that looks bridged. It appears to be a clone of a clone as it is missing some labeling that the original and the older clones used to have.

It is interesting that VK3HAW has the same problem and both of you are using RPi 4's. I noticed that Andy created a script that runs during the boot process that is supposed to reset the hat if it detects a RPi 4. I would expect that to be working when you boot but maybe it isn't for some reason.

Heres two things I would try:

Get it to the condition where the SVC LED is not blinking slowly and run this:

Code: Select all

sudo pistar-mmdvmhshatreset
After that does the hat reset, LEDS blink a few times and and start flashing correctly?

Another thing I would try is to remove the hat, and boot the RPi and then carefully push the hat on enough to for all the pins to make contact and see if the hat initializes properly. My thinking there is since Andy wrote the reset scripting maybe the RPi 4 GPIO is in a weird state on first powerup where its enough to trick the STM32 into thinking it should be in bootloader mode. The STM32 would initialize much faster than the RPi GPIO would.

I don't have a RPi 4, but it would be interesting to maybe put it on a scope and see what the GPIO pins are doing on first powerup.
If someones previous actions are any indication of their future actions, then I predict the deletion and removal of access will happen at any moment. 7-11-2020.

"07/13/20 This Website Has Been Taken Down" ... again :lol:
K6KM

Post by K6KM »

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1kPl ... sp=sharing

Here is the result of running the reset command.

Plugging the hat after power in up the PI flashes all LEDs quickly and then Green solid and red flashing slow. I think it tries to connect. However it can't get to DMR. I can see the Pi-Star on the computer though.
KE7FNS
Pi-Star Team

Post by KE7FNS »

K6KM wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 8:12 pm https://docs.google.com/document/d/1kPl ... sp=sharing

Here is the result of running the reset command.
Looks like the reset script doesn't work with that modem configuration, so Andy should add that selection to it so that it resets properly on a RPi 4's in the future. Maybe he'll read this and add it.

In the meantime set the modem config to "MMDVM_HS_Hat (DV9MAT & DF2ET) for Pi (GPIO)", or "Zumspot - Single Band Raspberry Pi Hat (GPIO), and I'll bet it'll start working then. Those configurations should work fine for a Jumbospot board which yours seems to be a clone of.
K6KM wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 8:12 pm Plugging the hat after power in up the PI flashes all LEDs quickly and then Green solid and red flashing slow. I think it tries to connect. However it can't get to DMR. I can see the Pi-Star on the computer though.
Yeah, that makes sense, the MMDVMHost service would also need to be restarted in order to re-establish proper communications.

I was just wondering if the hat properly initializes after the RPi has had time to settle down. So it appears to be a RPi 4 issue.
If someones previous actions are any indication of their future actions, then I predict the deletion and removal of access will happen at any moment. 7-11-2020.

K6KM

Post by K6KM »

WoW!!!! THat did it! Changing to: MMDVM_HS_Hat (DV9MAT & DF2ET) for Pi (GPIO) works!

You are awesome!

Thank you so much!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Roberto
K6KM
VK3HAW

Post by VK3HAW »

I tried the duplex hat and SD card on a Pi 3B+ and it started on power-on.

Back to the PI 4B and tried the "MMDVM_HS_Dual_Hat (DB9MAT, DF2ET & DO7EN) for Pi(GPIO)" modem type and it did start ok on power-on. It did wait for about 20 seconds before the LEDs did the 3 quick flashes.

Picture of the board FYI
[https://crux.net.au/img/Duplex_Hat.jpg]

Stephen
VK3HAW
K6KM

Post by K6KM »

Yes, mine takes about 20 seconds and starts. I can live with that :-)

So happy!!! :-)
KE7FNS
Pi-Star Team

Post by KE7FNS »

K6KM wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 11:16 pm WoW!!!! THat did it! Changing to: MMDVM_HS_Hat (DV9MAT & DF2ET) for Pi (GPIO) works!
I figured it would.
VK3HAW wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 11:43 pm I tried the duplex hat and SD card on a Pi 3B+ and it started on power-on.
Yeah, I've been digging into datasheets and both the RPi 3's chip and the RPi 4's chip and both of them say they default to the same values on initialization, so I'm not sure whats really happening and why its different because on paper they show they are exactly the same.

I guess if I had a RPi 4 to test with I could actually see what its doing with a scope. I've been looking into a way to force the GPIO to settle much earlier on in the boot process, but I still think the STM32 would beat it by at least a full second when power is applied to both of them at the same time, so I'm not sure its really worth the effort to even try it.

K6KM wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 11:44 pm Yes, mine takes about 20 seconds and starts. I can live with that :-)
That 20 seconds is because the script that kicks off the reset runs very late in the booting process.

Glad you are happy with it now. It was at least a learning experience for me, now I know RPi 4's act different for some reason or another. I don't know how useful it will be as I don't think there are very many pi-star users that are running a RPi 4. I think the majority of users are running RPi Zero W's.

VK3HAW

Post by VK3HAW »

Not sure if it is related to changing "Modem Type" but it sure messed up the Pi-Star. The Admin screen was almost the same as the Dashboard screen. Configuration>Expert>Quick Edit DMR GW was blank, however it all still worked. Restored previous configuration with STM32-DVM/MMDVM_HS to get it all back. I'll try again with "MMDVM_HS_Dual_Hat (DB9MAT, DF2ET & DO7EN) tomorrow.

Stephen
VK3HAW
KE7FNS
Pi-Star Team

Post by KE7FNS »

VK3HAW wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 6:04 am Configuration>Expert>Quick Edit DMR GW was blank, however it all still worked. Restored previous configuration with STM32-DVM/MMDVM_HS to get it all back.
When you select the modem type (or pretty much every selection from the basic configuration page) it sets a whole bunch of things to a default setting for a simple user, so it is up to you to reconfigure those things it wiped out.

If you think about it a little bit it makes total sense, a normal user would of picked the modem type as the very first configuration setting during the initial setup of a hotspot and then adjusted the rest of the settings from there. You need to follow the same process and setup the rest of the settings.

Once you complicate the hotspot configuration by making changes in the Expert section, you really shouldn't ever be using the basic configuration pages to make any changes anymore anyway.

VK3HAW

Post by VK3HAW »

Selected MMDVM_HS_Dual_Hat (DB9MAT, DF2ET & DO7EN) > Apply Changes.
Reselect DMRGateway as DMR Master, selected BrandMeister and DMR+ Masters > Apply Changes.
Copied Original Text to Configuration > Expert > FullEdit: DMR GW > Apply Changes.
All Back up and running as normal.