How can I make use of my Duplex Pi-Star?

MMDVM_HS Hat hardware
kc7ve

How can I make use of my Duplex Pi-Star?

Post by kc7ve »

I have tested duplex, sort of, and I see that I have both slots showing on the screen. The traffic is only displayed on slot 2. And one is never changing, so I went back to simplex mode.

But what could I make good use of simplex? About the only useful thing I can think of is that if I'm running in duplex, I can disconnect or change TalkGroups, while someone is talking and not leaving enough room to get a key in edgewise. But are there other good uses for my duplex system? I don't intend to have a repeater. Duplex seems to suggest repeater use. But can running in duplex, give me two different simplex frequencies, and have essentially two pi-star simultaneously? I'm thinking not. Or does duplex ONLY mean I have a different frequency for RX and TX and the only thing that offers is the ability to transmit to the pi-star, while receiving?

And what happens if someone is speaking and I transmit and talk, while they are? Does the pi-star still pass my audio over the internet, as a true duplex might suggest? I'm not even sure logically why anyone would do that. But there must be a reason for duplex mode.

Is there a good description of how a duplex node might be used?

Thanks
Amateur Radio 40+ years
USMC 1963-1967
M1DNS
Pi-Star Team

Re: How can I make use of my Duplex Pi-Star?

Post by M1DNS »

You need to setup your radio for use with ts1 & ts2 channels. If you have a radio capable of simultaneously monitoring two different slots you can use it to monitor two different tgs, one on each slot. Or monitor two differing networks, one on each slot. If your radio doesn't offer dual slot then you obvs have no advantage other than that you mention.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Andrew M1DNS.
Pi-star Admin Team.