UPDATED: HS_Dual_hat locks up Pi Zero when screen is connected

MMDVM_HS Hat hardware
k9amt

UPDATED: HS_Dual_hat locks up Pi Zero when screen is connected

Post by k9amt »

Updated to the actual issues:

MMDVM_HS_Dual v1.3 connected to a PI-Zero. It's a china mmdvm dual hat pi-zero combo with a 3.2 inch Nextion screen. I can connect and configure the pi just fine, standalone. As soon as the Nextion screen is to MMDVM is connected the pi locks up and can't ping via IP and I can't access anything via the dashboard.

The MMDVM goes the a cycle of slow flashing red then all on board LED flash 3 times. Nextion sceen displays MMDVM logo at the top.

WITHOUT the screen connected everything work as it should and a successful firmware update of the MMDVM was done.

The screen is active and display the basic MMDVM head at the top on a white background.
Last edited by k9amt on Thu Dec 03, 2020 12:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
k9amt

Re: UPDATED: HS_Dual_hat locks up Pi Zero when screen is connected

Post by k9amt »

Yes it behaves that way as expected WITHOUT the screen connected. All flash, slow red flash, fast red flash. I have other pi-zero MMDVM setups and this one just seems wonky, and chinese.
k9amt

Post by k9amt »

Found the issue : A failing USB power supply that wasn't supplying correct milliamp rating to the PI or MMDVM. Talk about random!
G8SEZ

Post by G8SEZ »

Unless it's rated at 1.5A minimum I don't bother buying a USB power supply, for the newer Pi variants I use the recommended supplies.

Over the past 4 years I have had 3 cheaper supplies fail, there is really no advantage in saving a few dollarpounds as you end up spending them, plus extra, again.
--

Brian G8SEZ