Establish first contact with md380

MMDVM_HS Hat hardware
GW7IRV

Establish first contact with md380

Post by GW7IRV »

I have successfully programmed my md380 and can hear through Gateway on my md380 contacts via my pista r hotspot etc.

However I am baffled how to transmit and establish my first qso i have noticed 4400 or similar in the dashboard and TG9 if I am doing something wrong?

By the way my ID no is displayed on the dashboard contacts whilst all the others are callsigns that ok!

Any advice about establishing first as i would be much appreciated.
W1KMC

Re: Establish first contact with md380

Post by W1KMC »

Assuming a few things here:

When hearing (receiving) is when you see the 4400 in the 'Target' column.
When Talking (Transmitting) is when you see TG 9 in the Target column.
Your radio is set for TG 9 -- If in DMR Gateway there is also options in TG 8 and TG6 (DMR2--- was on TG 7 but mine hosed ALL DMR functionality with last upates)

Look down the left sidebar and at TS2 section in DMR what does it say? TG 9 / Not Linked or Not Linked /Not Linked or something like TG 9 / REF 4400.

If the last one then you are on TalkGroup 9 on the UK Calling (4400) Brandmeister Reflector. If the TG 9 / Not Linked you need to connect to a reflector first. MD380 (This sort of works on mine - a friend has trouble so ymmv)

Green Button -> Green Button again -> Down Down (Manual Dial) Green Button -> In Radio ID box type 4400and PTT for 3 seconds (watch your dahsboard. If this works for you a woman's voice (BM) [ DMR+ has a deep male voice ] will say ' Connected to four four zero one. When you hear this, you are set to transmit.

Second part is your call prefix seems you are in an EU country, that is why your ID shows up but others have call signs (watch for W1KMC (Me - but mine is hosed now) or KB8IWO ( a friend who loves listening to 4400 and 4401.

Both Brandmeister AND DMR+ use this method of reflectors (BM on TG 9 and DMR+ on TG 8) but they are NOT equal google Brandmeister reflectors to find a list (range is 4XXX) and then google DMR+ reflectors and many have same numbers but they don't talk to each other (as far as I have observed) BM has some that DMR+ does not, and there is ONE I KNOW goes to two different place 4639 (Look on both lists - one is North America - the other is world wide) if you do not want your brain to implode just use BrandMeister and not DMR+ But then again DMRGateway has both and XLX which is TG 6 but can't figure that out as is shows Numbers but not where they are or what they connect to. The new cross modes would be nice if Gateway dropped DMR+ and allowed both YSF cross and NXDN Croos at the same time -- as I saind my DMR GAteway is hosed now as of 3.4.14

Good Luck and happy QSOing.
I am no developer, guru, expert, nor do I claim to be or want to be. All advice I give is purely from experience and my efforts to help others.

W1KMC - Kevin M Carman
Bangor, ME
Jumbospot on a Pi0W
DMR 3123142 & 3123143
HHUS Trunk Ext 4329